Hillbilly voodoo

Surface paddler baits

28 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

For me, it was so much simpler than boiling, and easier to control.

If bending lexan becomes a habit or I fail with other methods I will definitely get another heat gun. Probably buy an new one in time anyway 

since this is an experimental first attempt it will be redneck wing it with what I have lol. Seems to be they way I learn best

I want to work on understanding the action  and see what I can figure out. After that I will refine it and my process 

Slapped together this wing and put it on the rough body with hooks for a bath tub test and it paddles :yay:. unfortunately open water is limited with -20C and colder weather so may be a while before I can do a good test

I think with a little messing around testing a few styles of wing and body shapes I will get what I am looking for. I will add in a joint for sure

27DD84A6-5AF0-46E1-8C01-2ABC128409FD.jpeg

• Like 2

Hillbilly,

if you just search the term “jitterbug” with our search feature you’ll find a lot of information gathered through the years.I do remember someone saying the angle of the bill should be around 30 degrees ..Nathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nathan said:

Hillbilly,

if you just search the term “jitterbug” with our search feature you’ll find a lot of information gathered through the years.I do remember someone saying the angle of the bill should be around 30 degrees ..Nathan

Thanks Nathan

I will do a search to look at the information regarding the jitterbug as a reference 

The jitterbug is similar but the Australian surface paddlers are closer to the end result I am looking for. One thing I noticed was the jitterbug and Australian surface paddlers use very different angles. They also use different shape wing/cup too. The jitterbug is definitely in the same family but the Australian’s have definitely expanded into a variety of lures in this family 

I am putting together a few different styles of body using different angles and some different styles of wing. The action I am going for will hopefully be more aggressive then the jitterbug 

Yes I am probably trying to reinvent the wheel with a tweak. I have a vision in my head but knowing my luck the fish won’t agree with my vision :lolhuh:

• Like 1

you can use a toaster oven for bending and forming lexan/polycarbonate. do not exceed 300 deg f. you can make molds out of pop or any heat resistant material.

just my .02

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, azsouth said:

you can use a toaster oven for bending and forming lexan/polycarbonate. do not exceed 300 deg f. you can make molds out of pop or any heat resistant material.

just my .02

Good to know even if I don’t use it on this project it could create possibilities for future projects :yay:

• Like 1

Just a little progress on the paddler project I am winning 8)

The style of lexan wing I am using the 30 degree angle used on the jitterbug is not the ticket. An angle of 45-50 degree sees a much better action could probably push 60 degree but have not tried.The wing also cannot sit as deep in the water as the cup on a jitterbug 

Overall the style of actions are similar but the construction principles are definitely different. 

• Like 1

I have had success with making my own version(s) of the infamous "Hawg Wobbler".  I caught (2) muskies during our October tournament in northern Wisconsin using the green one shown below.  All component parts are available from Lurepartsonline or Hagens Fishing components catalogs.  These have a stainless steel lip and rear prop and really terrific action on the surface.  You can tweak the lip for different movements.  Great for musky and pike. 

20191023_131325.jpg

20200110_092650.jpg

20200110_092820.jpg

That green one looks like it has seen some teeth 

I was debating a wake style bait like your pics but just wanted to go in a different direction. I want to attempt something that would have me step beyond my normal bag of tricks. 

14 minutes ago, kingmfg said:

Growing up saw many monster pike that came on a Heddon Crazy Crawler

I've never seen either a pike or a muskie in person, but, from what I've seen on the internet, those are some really well armed big fish with a serious anger management problem.  I am amazed that a lure could survive an attack by one of them.

59 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I've never seen either a pike or a muskie in person, but, from what I've seen on the internet, those are some really well armed big fish with a serious anger management problem.  I am amazed that a lure could survive an attack by one of them.

I have never fished musky but pike are definitely fun. If you get a chance to fish somewhere with big pike do it

When they are on they are definitely aggressive. I watch my buddy hook and loose the same pike over a dozen casts in a row. I have seen them jump out of the water and grab a bait dangling a foot above the water. Lots of other crazy things too. But I have also watched big pike sit there and refuse everything you could throw at them 

My buddy is trying to convince me to make a muskrat size wake bait but I told him not till I finish my present projects