tlr567

Best thumping blade / brands spinnerbait

Thump = Colorado blades.  If you want a "good thump" and but want to fish them deeper at a good speed, go with an Indiana Blade.

Here is a link to a really good article on the subject:  http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/spinnerbait-blades.shtml

I really like HILDEBRANDT blades and I get mine at Barlow's Tackle.

They ship international.

Edited by DaBehr
  • Like 2

I agree with DaBehr on the the colorado blades, especially the Hildebrandt colorados. That brand of colorado blade seems to thump the most.

I also like the wide willow blade. It thumps a little bit less than a colorado but gives off more flash and casts a bit better. They are sometimes called mag willow, turtle back, cascade,  or olympic blade. Terminator calls their version of it, the Oklahoma blade.

Lure Parts Online sells them too.

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Lure-Making/Shop-By-Product-Category/Spinner-Blades-Spoons/Spinner-Blades/Wide-Willowleaf-Blades?page=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Lakeland has a blade called a Royal blade or Royal Willow blade. I think they have more thump than a Colorado or Mag willow. 

https://barlowstackle.com/Royal-Willow-Spinner-Blades-P1956/

I hope you're right.  I just ordered some to try.  If I don't catch fish, it's all your fault!  Hahaha

I got them in a #5 and #4 to make a double royal bait. I made it 1/2oz with .035" wire and it had so much torque even a slow retrieve couldn't keep it from rolling over. I since then used that #5 blade for a single blade bait and it thumps so hard it makes .035" wire feel like I'm running .029".  They also spin at a ridiculously low speed so if you want a thumping blade that is the one to get.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, smalljaw said:

I got them in a #5 and #4 to make a double royal bait. I made it 1/2oz with .035" wire and it had so much torque even a slow retrieve couldn't keep it from rolling over. I since then used that #5 blade for a single blade bait and it thumps so hard it makes .035" wire feel like I'm running .029".  They also spin at a ridiculously low speed so if you want a thumping blade that is the one to get.

I ordered #5 and #6.  I'll use them for 1/2 tandem spinnerbaits, where I'm using a big Indiana (#5 or #6) on a swivel now.  I love the thump and flash I get with the big Indiana, especially in the tulles.  I think it represents a bluegill, because of the bigger, slower vibration.  I know they find it, even in the thick stuff, or in low light.

I'm not really big on Colorado blades except at night and for Northern Pike. The rise "up" and are tough to fish deep (at least for the impatient me!). You can "slow roll" them with a really heavy body and the discipline to move them (reel them) slow enough.

I have had more success with the Indiana or big Willow blades for bass.

It comes down to more thump...or more flash.

• Like 1