SpoonMinnow

Hybrid soft plastic lures

Not sure if this is what goes into this forum, but for years after I discovered that I could join the parts of two soft plastic lures together using a candle flame to melt the two ends, I've come up with hundreds of hybrid lures totally unique in shape and action. Using lures I poured right from the mold lost the excitement and challenge of catching fish mostly from designs others came up with. So, I started to see what makes lure's tick - or, in other worms, what part(s) of soft plastic lures produced various actions that provoke fish to attack. Even if I see a mold on Ebay that is of an interesting shape, at the same time I'm thinking of making a hybrid using a part of the lure poured using it.

The process is simple.

1. cut off the parts to be joined with a sharp razor edge. It can be scissors or a box cutter blade.

2. light a candle and hold the ends briefly over the flame until they catch fire or start to soften, If a flame is produced, flip the lure away and it goes out.

3. hold the part together for 4-5 seconds until they fuse

4. I have a battery powered soldering gun to smooth and strengthen the seam

Here are a few - most of which you have seen the parts from other lures:

gFbyd2z.jpg

Top lure is a Sweet Beaver body with a curl tail attached on its curve.

2nd lure down is a grub body attached to a Flip Worm tail

3rd down are the joining of two equal sized grub bodies

2 bottom sticks are from the parts of two plastic worms.

The two on the right are the tails of two GY Kut Tail Worms attached to thicker grub bodies (on of my best producing hybrid)

zB7hG2j.jpgmxjVOVC.jpg?22gmCC1l.jpg

I added the claws from bass crawdad lures to grub bodies and caught many species of fish:

ULSz7t8.jpgwoYMb9u.jpg9HTbKSq.jpg

.#4 caught fish first time it was cast (part of a Sweet Beaver added to a grub body)

JdI9SQr.jpgVzSSrAW.jpg

Two grub bodies fused together after the curl tails were cut off. Wacky rigged with a light jig head catches everything !

gFZ59We.jpgFKVx6HY.jpg

Also catches fish rigged from the end:

g8jauhM.jpg

As most of us have discovered, lure shape along with size dictates lure action and all three together are solely responsible for provoking fish to attack. Just as there are an infinite amount of the three in combination that do well, there are many lures sold that will never cut it by comparison. Every hybrid I show has proven itself by catching fish on many outings. One design has caught catfish from 2 - 7.5 lbs. If interested I could post more ideas you can try.

Edited by SpoonMinnow

Closer look at the Kut Tail hybrid:

XKs2vGb.jpg?2

Here are a few more:

These I wacky rig. They were made from the parts of two lures: center is from the body of a finesse worm/ the tips the tails of a stick I injection pour:

EgVNrnh.jpg

All are wacky rigged using 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 oz unpainted ball head jigs.EGKFKt3.jpgtWE29cY.jpghGBdgrH.jpgVDhsgKS.jpg5obtoZx.jpg?1ViT6FQT.jpg?1

note: you can come up with hundreds of hybrid soft plastic ideas from plastic lures you own lures collecting dust, have different molds that produce different body/tail shapes or both. In either case, you never know what hybrid designs will blow other baits out of the water. Just a matter of making and testing them which as you've seen - I have ! In fact, 95 % of all the fish I catch are taken on hybrids.

Edited by SpoonMinnow