froggerbass

Tannic acid removal

I haven’t used it on tannin stains but soaking stuff in Oxyclean bleaches Out many stains well.  There’s no need to remove stains from most crankbaits you intend to repaint since the first repaint step is usually to shoot a base cover coat of white or black, except where you want a see-through translucent paint scheme.

The stains i am referring to come from leaves. Similar to tea leave stains. Also, I agree on the spraying the base coat but I would like to get the bills back to clear and I am also curious if you leave the stains on the body if they will eventually bleed through the paint. Maybe not, but wasn’t sure. 

6 hours ago, ravenlures said:

Well I agree with Bob but then just where do Tannic acid stains come from. I live up north on the UP boarder in Wisconsin and we have Iron stained water and some really clear water.

Wayne

Well the Wisconsin River is a fine example of the effects of tannic acid effects.  That lovely brown color of the river is from the Northern tamarack swamps of your state.   The tannin leaches from downed branches, trees, bark, and needles and leaves.

A diluted bleach solution or the oxyclean should remove most of the stain but wouldn't be worth the trouble.  I would think a magic eraser kitchen scrub pad would get most of it off the bill if indeed tannin stains.   About any of the solutions for cleaning out coffee, tea, wine should work as all are tannin related issues. The bills may not be stained from tannins and may be some of the finishes sprayed on baits yellow in time under long term exposure to the elements (sanding and buffing).  

For the body... just spray some shellac over it and good to go.   

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1