tlr567

Fur covered hard body lure?

I have never done this myself but if I was it would be looking at synthetic options that don’t absorb water. Natural fur would not be a good long term option because of weight and it breaking down. Might want to go though a craft store and see what they have that has a light weight backing. You can always give it a hair cut

have you considered flocking it?or are wanting hair that flows in the water?

8 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

I have never done this myself but if I was it would be looking at synthetic options that don’t absorb water. Natural fur would not be a good long term option because of weight and it breaking down. Might want to go though a craft store and see what they have that has a light weight backing. You can always give it a hair cut

have you considered flocking it?or are wanting hair that flows in the water?

I don’t know what you mean by “flocking it”? 

I wanted it to look like a water rat and I thought fur of some kind would give the best result. 

Ive seen a few lure parts stores have ‘Pseudo Hair - Imitation Polar Bear Hair’ . I just didn’t know if it would be good enough to survive

30 minutes ago, tlr567 said:

I don’t know what you mean by “flocking it”? 

I wanted it to look like a water rat and I thought fur of some kind would give the best result. 

Ive seen a few lure parts stores have ‘Pseudo Hair - Imitation Polar Bear Hair’ . I just didn’t know if it would be good enough to survive

Flocking is like a spray on fuzz not really hair. I have seen it used on lures and I have waterfowl decoys with it

Craft fur might be a good option for what you are thinking. Honestly can’t think of anything that would really take abuse. It is likely one of those things it will look cool but not worth the effort if catching fish is the main goal 

This is a Mudeye lures “Thingy” it’s a great lure. And where I got the idea from. I borrowed this from a mate who swears by them for trolling. Trouble is I want a sinking lure that I can cast in against structure that would closer Resemble the feeding habits of a water rat/otter type thing. 

2614F4DC-8218-43A8-9768-E67EC47AFCEA.jpeg

8AF6113A-8833-4D21-A4E4-01463CCF6FDB.jpeg

• Like 1

You Australians definitely have a unique style of lure building. I am still on my morning coffee so can’t remember what it’s called but there is a synthetic subtle for rabbit strip. I will check my fly tying kit to see if I have any to get the name. I know my rabbit strip flies that last a long time the leather starts to rot or stiffen up

A while back a member here commented the one of my crankbaits looked very Australian so out of curiosity I started looking into the different designs you guys use. Some of my crankbaits are definitely lost somewhere between North American and Australian for shapes at times :lolhuh:

I am actually working on a surface paddler similar to what you guys use for Murray cod. After learning about this style of lure I want to try it on pike here in Canada 

• Haha 1

Yeah I’ve noticed our fresh water lures are very unique. But hey they work!

Throwing those surface paddlers is the most exciting and addictive fishing I’ve ever done. You never know if the next cast will explode or not and usually when you are getting complacent that’s when one will strike. They strike so hard they make a loud crack sound that if your not ready for will scare the piss out of you! 

id be very keen to find out what the imitation rabbit is called.

i think it’s funny you’ve been looking at our lures, because I’ve been looking at your lures for inspiration. Especially Muskie lures. 

some of our native lures573D560E-3938-4D49-AB86-3AC62B19ACB5.thumb.jpeg.f8954267a0a3ff4bc9b220aa60b1829d.jpeg

Mudeye rattlesnake C17D808E-C2B8-4A18-9C7C-D42E461BFDDA.thumb.jpeg.257ef526d05cf3aa730f05992a2a0ac4.jpegcan’t remember 714E74B7-DA39-4AD1-B53C-56BBBB0CE89B.thumb.jpeg.4aa36a3014b71e9b9502a61afa8956b9.jpeg

AC invader
5FFEE1B7-9F25-4723-83D9-5A6E948D88B0.thumb.jpeg.4ce70a930ecaaeeba79e7f40b1f93bf0.jpeg

jitterbug

• Like 2

no luck checking the fly kit. Next time I see it in the tackle shop I will write the name down. It’s basically like a string with fur coming off it. It has kind of a fox tail look

I have been carving baits with a curve similar to that AC invader before I even seen an Australian crankbait. I just have had good results with different banana style baits. Actually just paint a new deep diver to test out with a slight curve.

The paddler is going to be my first intentionally Australian inspired lure. I will be trying it on shallow water pike 

What I have learned from fishing different areas and species a lot of lures plus fishing styles transfer over to different species really well. The funny thing is most fishermen won’t try something new till someone out fishes them using it lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

The funny thing is most fishermen won’t try something new till someone out fishes them using it lol

Yes definitely true! I enjoy trying new stuff out and making my own just takes it to the next level. I bought a couple of Muskie Sized whopper Ploppers and I’ve had a few mates buy them now.

that Ac invader is a great lure, Australian custom also do one called an AC slim. My go to trolling lure. The body is a Chartreuse and green banana about the size of your pinky but they are for golden perch. 

I am that fishermen that basically refuses to use the local favourite lures lol. One of my fishing buddies is the same way. 2 of the small towns we lived in over the years we completely changed how the locals fished some species from locals catching onto what we were doing lol

Here is a prototype I am working on to give you an idea. Like I said my carving style can fall somewhere in between the North American and Australian style crankbaits. This one does not have as much of a curve as some of my others. It’s a 20cm deep diver and odds are if it eats fish and can fit it in their mouth they will bite it

Odds are everything I make would work in Australia just like a lot of your lures would work here in Canada 

31743A29-5A5D-4866-A601-5DBC31C0D019.jpeg

• Like 1