rustedhook

Eagle Claw Little Nasty

I really like the Eagle Claw Lil Nasty but it is a really light wire so be aware of that. Matzuo is out of business but even if they weren't I'd still go Eagle Claw. The wire is just as light as the Matzuo so you need very little pressure to get it to penetrate. I also gave up on Matzuo because of the sheer number of bad hooks and by bad I mean unusable. I think before you settle on one hook you should check out some others as well, Mustad makes the 32500 that goes up to a 2/0, it is a sickle style but has more rounded bends so it is a sort of hybrid style but it is also a little heavier wire than the Lil Nasty. I don't know how much longer until it is available but Eagle Claw is coming out with the L570 Pro-V hook, it is a laser sharp 570 with the sickle bends. The 570 wire is a little heavier than the lil nasty but for a Damiki rig the lil nasty will work well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smalljaw said:

I really like the Eagle Claw Lil Nasty but it is a really light wire so be aware of that. Matzuo is out of business but even if they weren't I'd still go Eagle Claw. The wire is just as light as the Matzuo so you need very little pressure to get it to penetrate. I also gave up on Matzuo because of the sheer number of bad hooks and by bad I mean unusable. I think before you settle on one hook you should check out some others as well, Mustad makes the 32500 that goes up to a 2/0, it is a sickle style but has more rounded bends so it is a sort of hybrid style but it is also a little heavier wire than the Lil Nasty. I don't know how much longer until it is available but Eagle Claw is coming out with the L570 Pro-V hook, it is a laser sharp 570 with the sickle bends. The 570 wire is a little heavier than the lil nasty but for a Damiki rig the lil nasty will work well.

Looked on Eagle Claw's web site and it showed the L570VP PRO-V JIG HOOK being available July 2019. Don't see where any one has it. Its listed up to a 4/0 but doesn't show how to buy it.

They were unveiled at ICAST in July of 2019 but they haven't been released for retail as of yet. I was told Eagle Claw has not provided a timeline to when they will be available either. I make a 1/16oz and 1/8oz ball head jig with a 3/0 Eagle Claw Lil Nasty for finesse style swim baits and they work really well with 8# line and a medium power spinning rod. I don't lose fish on them, if they get the hook the only way they get off is if the line breaks. If you are making a head specifically for the Damiki rig then the lil nasty is perfectly fine, the wire is stronger than the Matzuo and just as sharp if not sharper. If you feel you want a little bit stronger hook try the Mustad 32500 skip jack hook, it is made with slightly heavier wire.

• Like 1