jcromerangler

KBS vs Solarez

Solarez works well as a sealer but IMO, it’s not an attractive topcoat due to the wax flakes it contains.  If you want a uv polyester that cures clear, I recommend you try Alumi-UV.  More expensive than Solarez but it cures clear and hard.  Either of the alternatives, uv poly or MCU works fine.  In general the uv poly makes a thicker coating but both are tough topcoats.

16 minutes ago, DGagner said:

After the white prime coat I use a UV sealer. It tends to nicely smooth out any imperfections before painting. Then I finish off with 1-2 more coats. I don't use Solarez for a few reasons. I use the slower curing resin like alumi-uv or it's chinese knockoffs.

I have been just using solarez and it sets up very fast just a few minutes and I don't waste any!   

Solarez works great, it's just that it stinks thus I wonder about it's safety. And... opening and closing it over time with cause it to thicken. It is such a quick hardening resin that the ambient light over time will make it get thick. The resins I use take about 10-30 minutes depending on the thickness.