Hillbilly voodoo

Laser cutter

Been looking at the different options for improving my process for making lexan lips. I have seen the router option that was suggested in another thread and may go this way. The other option I am looking at is a laser cutter. Looking at the hobby size machines 

Does anyone have experience with these hobby size laser cutters? 
Do you find they make a consistent quality lexan lip?

any useful experienced information or advice we be great

• Like 1

You know it might be less than you think by going to a company and having them made, I have one not far from me and I went to have a quote on a lip verses  making them my self but that was awhile back not that bad of a price then just but  more than I needed but I am thinking of having a lip or lips made  making a few sizes same thickness. It might be more than you want but a lot cheaper than a laser cutter and making by yourself with the material and time plus these will be right on the money when done. Think what you get out of a 4'X4' or 4'X8' a lot of lips, plus what it cost to purchase some already made but in lesser amounts. Also might team up with a fellow lure maker and split up what you need. Then when you need more the price will be or should be because it sits in their computer ready to go.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

thanks Wayne 

I will have to look around and see if having them made is a feasible option. I am really just trying to find  my options for a good solution that is consistent quality with reasonable efforts 

I have sweet talked myself into free lexan scrap from the local glass shops so it would be nice to use this resource. 

The cost of a hobby laser cutter is not too bad price wise but digging into it on the Internet the problem of an ugly burnt edge comes up

A DIY water jet might be an option. 

That said I have a niece who is getting a laser cutter (not a hobbie version) she is planning on trading me access for help getting it setup and learning how to use it. i'll let you know how it works.

And much to my embarrassment I have yet to try a 3d printed lip 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aulrich said:

A DIY water jet might be an option. 

That said I have a niece who is getting a laser cutter (not a hobbie version) she is planning on trading me access for help getting it setup and learning how to use it. i'll let you know how it works.

And much to my embarrassment I have yet to try a 3d printed lip 

So you hang out here as well. I am on AO under Smoky buck (I am also a dirty muzzleloader hunter is why)

Definitely let me know what you think of the laser cutter. 

As you can tell I am trying to refine my lip making process. Need something that is less time consuming and can be done with less focus 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

So you hang out here as well. I am on AO under Smoky buck (I am also a dirty muzzleloader hunter is why)

Definitely let me know what you think of the laser cutter. 

As you can tell I am trying to refine my lip making process. Need something that is less time consuming and can be done with less focus 

Absolutely  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, azsouth said:

Table saw to set the height, chop saw to set the width and angles... belt sander to knock of edges or modify.

bandsaw and scroll saws don't cut good lines and usually need a lot more time on the sander.

Speed is not the issue here 

Your method is fine for my coffin shape and square bill’s but starting getting into the top water project I am working on and it won’t work. I am cutting almost a butterfly shape out of lexan and you cannot shape it on a beltsander or a drum properly

Presently laminate trimmer with a jig is the  most likely option. This is much faster, more precise and versatile then both our present methods. The laser cutter I am choosing to see how it works for another first

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

I would rather use a bandsaw over a table saw to me much safer, and I would use a disk sander over a belt sander.

Just my :twocents:. I use a 1/8" bandsaw blade keeps it just off the line, 120 grit on the disk and keep it clean with one of those disk cleaners.

Wayne 

We probably are doing things similar I just don’t own a disk sander. In most case it works fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

For complex shapes of a few hundred at a time, I would be looking into copy routers. Probably design and build my own.

Dave

Thanks Dave I will look into that option 

As of last night I have a template/guide being 3D printed to test with a laminate trimmer.

Edited by Hillbilly voodoo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I find that a benchtop oscillating belt sander is really good for rough and fine sanding and shaping.

https://www.fefall.com/oscillating-edge-eb4424-belt-sander--ridgid

I have that belt/drum sander combo it does come in handy and does not take up too much space

• Like 1

I did actually design a 3D pantograph duplicator for complex body manufacture. The hope was that it would be faster and give a better, ridge-less finish than the traditional 3D duplicator. I remembered that it also did 2D objects like lips. So, I searched back through my CAD files and found it. Damned thing was so complex that I could not figure out how it worked :)

It does seem to me that there could be room for a lip cutter pantograph, if I could curb my tendency to over complicate. I will give the idea some thought, even though my current lure development is going in a different direction.

Dave

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

I did actually design a 3D pantograph duplicator for complex body manufacture. The hope was that it would be faster and give a better, ridge-less finish than the traditional 3D duplicator. I remembered that it also did 2D objects like lips. So, I searched back through my CAD files and found it. Damned thing was so complex that I could not figure out how it worked :)

It does seem to me that there could be room for a lip cutter pantograph, if I could curb my tendency to over complicate. I will give the idea some thought, even though my current lure development is going in a different direction.

Dave

Dave completely understand the whole over complication issues we just have different ways of going about it

• Like 1