OldMan

Howdy HO!!!

California native, still live here. Age 65. Mostly I fish for trout and occasionally salmon, but I'm just a beginner with salmon. Not a bass fisherman (I don't like skinning fish so I fish for species where skin removal is not required) and salmonids are the healthiest fish to eat, as long as they're not farmed. I'm a float-tube guy, too. I have a mount for my sonar (Striker4) and another mount I use on rental boats. I do a LOT of catch and release fishing and most of my lures have single, barbless hooks. Lot of work, removing and replacing all the barbed, treble hooks.

First trip this year will be the Northern California Trout Anglers Challenge (NTAC) trout derby at San Pablo Reservoir. Probably just bank fish with the old standby, nightcrawler on a #8 topped with a marshmallow to keep the bait off the bottom. I could win a BOAT!!!

Glad to have discovered y'all...

3 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Welcome to the forum 

I cut my teeth on trout and salmon as a kid on BCs coast. These were the first species I started building lures for. These days I am on the east side of the Rockies. The only trout I fish now are Lakers, browns, and bulls. 

Where do you catch Bulls? Where is it LEGAL to catch them? Keep them? In CA all bull trout must be immediately returned to the water.

1 hour ago, OldMan said:

Where do you catch Bulls? Where is it LEGAL to catch them? Keep them? In CA all bull trout must be immediately returned to the water.

They can be kept in a lot of waters in northern BC and there is very high population in some areas. Where I live now in Alberta Bulls are all C&R do to a combination of the loss of some bull populations and the bull trout being the provincial fish. In Alberta I can still C&R a lot of bulls in some water systems

Personally I rarely eat fish anymore and when I do it’s white meat fish. I ate way too many trout/salmon in the past when I owned a trout farm and was a guide not a fan of them now lol

Bulls are my favourite trout/char species to target do to their aggression 

• Like 1