Joelh831

Need help on material

Hey guys does anyone know what this material is and where I can find it at. The guy that made this said it was made of carbon. But it doesn’t look like regular carbon fiber with resin. Actually he said no resin was used to make this mold. Anyone have any experience with what this might be. Thanks. 

FC9C8CEB-BC03-41AB-80FA-39DBC6C32047.jpeg

1 hour ago, cadman said:

Joel,

Are you referring to the jig head profile? If so Do-It Molds has a jig head called the Midwest Jig Head that you can use . If you are referring to the hook with barb, those are not stock hooks.

I’m actually referring to the material that was used to make the mold. I know it’s made of some type of carbon compound 

I don't know well that mold is going to work. There is no vents, no gates, and it is just a Z-Man Shroomz head that was laid in some type of mold putty or resin. I would not hit that with lead unless I knew exactly what is was made out of, not rated for high heat or if it is retaining any moisture could result in injury.

• Like 1

My guess is the mold is made of graphite.

Same stuff as pencil lead.

If I'm correct then it would easily stand up to lead melting.

A friend of mine has several small graphite molds he uses to pour melted gold into small ingots.

His is an open pour style mold though.

Not sure how graphite would hold up to repeated lead castings or how it would work as a two piece mold.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

16 hours ago, STO76 said:

Not sure what the material is made of but have seen these molds on facebook on multiple bait making pages. Claim they last forever and can make any custom jigheads or baits. If I see them I will post a link.

Yea I that’s where I seen them at. Actually that guy is a member of one of my groups the “lead pouring techniques and jig making” but his pretty tire lip of what the material is.