TootsMalone

Salvaging a silicone mold

Well sometimes you just screw up, well here I am same problem for me. This is what I did #1 made a lure. #2 put the two together , now it has to be good part nice seam all the way around. #3 Drill holes on all four corners then with either metal or wood which I used a little bigger than the hole drive them into the hole on one side just 1/8" higher than the mold so that it fits into the other half. put together than pour if that don't work than make a new mold. It worked for me and when I felt I needed a new mold I made it the right way. Should work I see by the picture you are using a harder silicone which is better yet. I hope this helps!

Wayne

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravenlures said:

Well sometimes you just screw up, well here I am same problem for me. This is what I did #1 made a lure. #2 put the two together , now it has to be good part nice seam all the way around. #3 Drill holes on all four corners then with either metal or wood which I used a little bigger than the hole drive them into the hole on one side just 1/8" higher than the mold so that it fits into the other half. put together than pour if that don't work than make a new mold. It worked for me and when I felt I needed a new mold I made it the right way. Should work I see by the picture you are using a harder silicone which is better yet. I hope this helps!

Wayne

thanks wayne! I thought about doing exactly what you mentioned. May have to give it a try. 

49 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

First did you pour one side of your mold or both?

I am a blundering idiot at times so I have had to fix this problem with a complete mold and when I only poured half. I hope you only poured half because it’s an easier fix

once I know which mistake you made I will type out the solutions I used

I thankfully only poured one side so far. But its pretty thin at about only a lego brick deep. 

11 minutes ago, TootsMalone said:

thanks wayne! I thought about doing exactly what you mentioned. May have to give it a try. 

I thankfully only poured one side so far. But its pretty thin at about only a lego brick deep. 

Easy fix then take a scalpel and carve some divots. Build your LEGO box, cover with release agent and pour your next half on top. Basically sink the scalpel part way and cut out a cone. It’s not as pretty but works just as good

Of course with your master lol

Edited by Hillbilly voodoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I did say I would keep screwing up. This morning was salvaging a 2 piece mold that I forgot to use release agent on :bull:. Being 3lbs of silicon salvaging this mold with slow scalpel work being sure to make some bumps to line the mold up with sucks 

So for the dumb redneck tip of the day don’t answer your phone well pouring molds you may forget a step. It sucks fixing mistakes 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Well I did say I would keep screwing up. This morning was salvaging a 2 piece mold that I forgot to use release agent on :bull:. Being 3lbs of silicon salvaging this mold with slow scalpel work being sure to make some bumps to line the mold up with sucks 

So for the dumb redneck tip of the day don’t answer your phone well pouring molds you may forget a step. It sucks fixing mistakes 

Oh man that is rough. I got real close to forgetting mold release the other night but caught it at the last second. I do keep forgetting to tape around my boxes to seal them until after i pour the silicone. I have had to resort to writing out a check list for all of my processes so i don't forget anything. Heating up molds before pouring resin is another part i keep forgetting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TootsMalone said:

Oh man that is rough. I got real close to forgetting mold release the other night but caught it at the last second. I do keep forgetting to tape around my boxes to seal them until after i pour the silicone. I have had to resort to writing out a check list for all of my processes so i don't forget anything. Heating up molds before pouring resin is another part i keep forgetting. 

It all worked in the end just not as pretty. Most of my mistakes are from multi tasking. I just get good at adapting from making mistakes lol

I don’t tape at all when making molds with LEGO the clay seals it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

It all worked in the end just not as pretty. Most of my mistakes are from multi tasking. I just get good at adapting from making mistakes lol

I don’t tape at all when making molds with LEGO the clay seals it. 

Haha gotta be good at adapting to mistakes with lure making. If not it would just be too darn discouraging. I wish i didnt have to tape it, but the silicone seeps between the bricks if i dont and i hate using more clay than i absolutely have to. 

1 hour ago, TootsMalone said:

Haha gotta be good at adapting to mistakes with lure making. If not it would just be too darn discouraging. I wish i didnt have to tape it, but the silicone seeps between the bricks if i dont and i hate using more clay than i absolutely have to. 

I don’t get much seepage and the little I do does not make it outside the box. Maybe we use different silicone. I used Alumilite height strength 2 in the past but switched to smooth on mold max 30 do to cost/availability 

either way do what works for you