bigblue2

uv anyone using it?

1 hour ago, bigblue2 said:

is there anyone using uv clear coat its something new for me but it seems to work well if you wait at least 4 hours to cure what is the reason for waiting so long?

now its been 2 hours and they are almost cured could it be the bottom of the clear coat uv bottle contained the better uv resins?

6 minutes ago, jcromerangler said:

are you using a UV light source or just setting them outside? Also are you using a lure turner I'm just curious myself. I heard the the UV resins cure harder than KBS diamond clear. (dipping method).. and are better chip resistant. Ive thought about trying one myself

yes I am using a 60watt led uv light mounted on a stand to shine on the lure  blanks works good but can take up to 4 hours to cure I think it is probably the uv resin.i don't use a turner just a wood rack with nails to suspend the lure blanks have to rotate blanks to get all sides cured! 

• Like 1

Assuming you have the correct light wave frequency for the cure of your product. Distance from your light source is absolutely critical.

Cure effectiveness deteriorates at a rate of 8:1. in other words, increase the distance by one inch and the cure effectiveness is reduced massively.

Dave

• Like 1

I just started airbrushing and am using uv epoxy to top coat. I built an enclosed turner with uv lights inside that I removed from a nail drying lamp.  I then lined the inside with aluminum tape for reflection. Still need to fine tune some things but works pretty good if I do say so. Thinking about adding another 4 lights. I’m getting tack free baits in about 30 minutes but I’ve been going for about an hour just in case.  I try to put on lite/medium initial coat and then a second coat if needed.  Just have to make sure to pop the air bubbles prior to curing.  I believe the closer to the light source the faster the uv will cure.

This epoxy has been great for making eyes too. 

• Like 2

I just joined... I just started making lures a couple of months back and have only made 5 of them so my 2 cents is still a bit newbie...

I made a UV tank out of nail dryers using a chinese uv resin from amazon. Like Alumilite-uv it takes 20-30 minutes to completely cure a hard bait. It's solid when it's done. It has a timer connected to it. I use a coating after the white primer coat. It tends to smooth the bait, and I paint on that. Then I finish with one or two coats as a final coating

It was mentioned about a lure turner, and I do have one when I used to do epoxy finishes. I find that the UV resin sets up fairly fast when it hits the light so just hanging the lure is fine. 

A video of my Uv light chamber build can be seen here.

Solarez, another type of UV coating hardens super fast but it stinks and will get thick in the can just from being exposed to ambient light while opening the bottle. Alumi UV is good stuff. It's recently been on perpetual backorder so I've been using a chinese knockoff from Amazon and I find that it's not only less expensive, but seems to work really good.

q411yw7.jpg.8df5272605fbed2b00f2e97071ed49e2.jpg

The video for the making of my latest lure is here... Along with others..

DSC03249.jpg.30a8f432bbeeba50ff87e07fbc648d20.jpg