Tradewinds

Finish on cork

Thanks, Washougal. I was looking at those as opposed to mineral oil. It hadn't entered my mind that cork does not absorb anything, but you are right. I guess the seal is to close off cracks and pits. Not sure how important that is. These are 50+ year old rods and I'm impressed with how the cork cleans up like new.

Ya know... I have a small jar of cork sealer for fishing poles. Fairly pricy stuff.

I've been using minwax polycrilic fo years. Sort of a fast drying, thin, milky looking subsance.  It looks and works like the same stuff in the cork sealer bottle. I'd swear it's just like it. And it's much much cheaper by the quart in comparison.

Hello, this is also my first post. I like to restore vintage Mitchell reels, and build rods.

When I do restore a cork handle, I use Titebond ultimate wood glue, mixed with cork I saved from sanding. I also use U 40 cork seal.

While fishing a lot I clean my cork at the end of each season, warm water & dish soap. Let it dry 3-4 days and reseal.