mark poulson

Painting spinnerbaits

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but this is so simple and easy I wanted to share it....again?

I prime my spinnerbait heads with Rustoleum Etching Primer (thank you Cadman Ted).

Then I paint them with Createx airbrush paints, using a small artist's brush instead of an air brush.

Once I've dried the paint with my hairdryer, I add some eyes, glued in with super glue, and then top coat with clear nail polish.

If I hit the nail polish with the hair dryer after it's initially dried/cured, so it isn't moved by the hot air blowing on it, the polish get hard much faster, and I can fish the spinnerbait the next day if I want.

It makes trying new paint scheme fast and easy.

Here are 10 I did yesterday.  The ones on the bottom are powder coated with glo white and glo chartreuse.

20200124_125447 (1).jpg

Edited by mark poulson
clarification

Hi Mark,

Back in the day before I knew nothing about powder painting, I used to use vinyl paint by CSI (Pro-tec). Anyway, once I moved up to powder paint, didn't know much about it then either. So I would spray all my lead jigs with etching primer. To my surprise with the etching powder the paint was very durable and at that time I would just gloss over the jigs with a heat gun and not use a toaster oven to bake the jigs. As time progressed, I stopped using etching primer, and would just powder paint the jigs and then bake them. So here we are in 2020, and that is the way I do my jigs. No need for etching primer, unless you decide not to bake them and or if you decide to use aerosol cans ,Createx or lacquer paint. The etching primer is a very good base coat for these paints, as it really grips the lead and the paint has a good base coat to adhere to.  I still use etching primer occasionally for exotic color I cannot do with powder paint.

Anyway, those spinnerbaits look really good. I really like those bluegill colored ones on the top rack. I would like to see a pic of them with the skirt on. Job well done Mark.:yay::yay::yay:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cadman said:

Hi Mark,

Back in the day before I knew nothing about powder painting, I used to use vinyl paint by CSI (Pro-tec). Anyway, once I moved up to powder paint, didn't know much about it then either. So I would spray all my lead jigs with etching primer. To my surprise with the etching powder the paint was very durable and at that time I would just gloss over the jigs with a heat gun and not use a toaster oven to bake the jigs. As time progressed, I stopped using etching primer, and would just powder paint the jigs and then bake them. So here we are in 2020, and that is the way I do my jigs. No need for etching primer, unless you decide not to bake them and or if you decide to use aerosol cans ,Createx or lacquer paint. The etching primer is a very good base coat for these paints, as it really grips the lead and the paint has a good base coat to adhere to.  I still use etching primer occasionally for exotic color I cannot do with powder paint.

Anyway, those spinnerbaits look really good. I really like those bluegill colored ones on the top rack. I would like to see a pic of them with the skirt on. Job well done Mark.:yay::yay::yay:

I'll take a pic and post it here.

7 hours ago, cadman said:

Hi Mark,

Ted,  

I have to ask you, do you drink coffee?  I tried to do your tap the spoon powder coating method, and I shook like an aspen leaf in a hurricane.

How do you keep your hands steady?

12 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Here's a picture of two of them with skirts, and the triangular blades that Smalljaw turned me on to.

spinnerbaits with triangle blades.jpg

Mark, nice looking spinnerbaits. How do you like the textured skirting material? I have used it in the past and I like it very much mixed with the regular skirt material. It fills out a skirt for some bulk. The only thing I noticed is that you cannot over tighten the skirt when you tie it otherwise the textured skirt will separate and break off. 

I have never seen those triangular blades , let alone fished them. How do they swim in the water? Do they spin or sway from side to side? 

12 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Ted,  

I have to ask you, do you drink coffee?  I tried to do your tap the spoon powder coating method, and I shook like an aspen leaf in a hurricane.

How do you keep your hands steady?

Mark, yes I do drink coffee. However it is only in the morning up until about 10 or 11:00 a.m.  I think you have my powder paint technique mixed up with something else. I use the paint brush tap method, no spoon involved. You get a small artist brush, dip it in the powder paint and then take the brush full of paint and tap the brush with the paint over a hot jig. That's all there is to it. That should work for you.

2 hours ago, cadman said:

Mark, yes I do drink coffee. However it is only in the morning up until about 10 or 11:00 a.m.  I think you have my powder paint technique mixed up with something else. I use the paint brush tap method, no spoon involved. You get a small artist brush, dip it in the powder paint and then take the brush full of paint and tap the brush with the paint over a hot jig. That's all there is to it. That should work for you.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

7 hours ago, cadman said:

Mark, nice looking spinnerbaits. How do you like the textured skirting material? I have used it in the past and I like it very much mixed with the regular skirt material. It fills out a skirt for some bulk. The only thing I noticed is that you cannot over tighten the skirt when you tie it otherwise the textured skirt will separate and break off. 

I have never seen those triangular blades , let alone fished them. How do they swim in the water? Do they spin or sway from side to side? 

Cadman, those triangle blades are called Royal Willows or just Royal blades. Lakeland came out with them quite some time ago, I found them in 2011 or 2012.  Anyway,  they swim at ridiculously slow speeds and they have a wide arc with a lot of thump.

7 hours ago, Apdriver said:

Very nice paint on those heads, Mark. I’ll have to try using Createx like that as sometimes using the airbrush is a pain. I hate the cleaning chores of it. Those really look good!!!

Thanks. 

I started using an artist's brush because the heads are so small I couldn't get the kind of detail I wanted with an airbrush.  I'm sure there are people here who can, but not me.  And, like you, I find the setup and cleanup with the airbrush a pain, and frustrating because I can't get the results I want.

I've found the drying time with the artist's brush is just about the same between colors as with airbrushed colors, and I can generally get one coat coverage with opaque and iridescent colors.  Transparents take a couple of coats.  A couple of swirls of the artist's brush in clean water, a quick squeeze with a soft cloth, and it's ready for the next color.

Once I've got all the paint on and dried, I hit the baits one more time with the hair dryer on high, and then coat with the clear nail polish.  They are hard to the touch the next day.  I like to hit them again that next day with the hair dryer on low, and then they are ready to fish the day following.  I know there are UV gel nail polishes that set in UV light, so they could theoretically be ready to fish the same day, but I haven't tried them...yet!  Hahaha

On 1/26/2020 at 2:47 PM, smalljaw said:

Cadman, those triangle blades are called Royal Willows or just Royal blades. Lakeland came out with them quite some time ago, I found them in 2011 or 2012.  Anyway,  they swim at ridiculously slow speeds and they have a wide arc with a lot of thump.

Smalljaw,

Thanks for the info and explanation.

On 1/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, mark poulson said:

I started using an artist's brush because the heads are so small I couldn't get the kind of detail I wanted with an airbrush.  I'm sure there are people here who can, but not me.  And, like you, I find the setup and cleanup with the airbrush a pain, and frustrating because I can't get the results I want.

Did you have any trouble applying the Createx with a brush, or was there much of a learning curve? We've had a number of customers ask about doing this, but it's something I haven't gotten around to trying. 

2 hours ago, Good Fishing said:

Did you have any trouble applying the Createx with a brush, or was there much of a learning curve? We've had a number of customers ask about doing this, but it's something I haven't gotten around to trying. 

I'm no artist, but I can do it.  Don't overload your brush.  I put a drop or two whatever paint I want to use on an oatmeal carton lid, and then dip my brush into it.  I dab the brush on the lid next to the paint drop to remove some of the paint, and then I put the paint on the spinnerbait head.  It really is that simple.  Since the primer I use is solvent based, I can always  wash the Createx off if I screw up, and start again.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, cadman said:

Smalljaw,

Thanks for the info and explanation.

Royal blade update.  I fished a new lake near my house Tuesday.  It's basically a deep hole with steep sides, and a shallow apron all the way around. Grass out to 20', and then a bare+- bottom down to 100'.

I threw three different tandem spinnerbaits with Royal blades.  Two 3/8 oz, bluegill and chart/white, with #4 blades on the back, and a 5/8oz bluegill, with a #5 on the back for slow rolling the bottom of the weed edge.

I could definitely feel the Royal blade thumping.

I should have tied on one of my Indiana blade spinnerbaits, too, so I could compare the two side by side, but, alas, I wasn't that smart.  

No bites on them all day. 

I did fish other baits, too.  They had stocked trout on Saturday, so I threw an 8" Huddleston, ROF 12, in a trout color, for an hour.  Nada.

I threw two different A rigs, a finesse one with 3" and 3 1/2" swimbaits, and a bigger one with 4" and 5" swimbaits. I got one bump on the larger rig, but no hookups.

I threw shallow, med, and deep jerkbaits which got ignored, although I did have a follower flash on the shallow one as I got it almost back to the boat.

I'd like to think the fish were just full of trout, instead of me just sucking.

• Like 1