Hillbilly voodoo

DIY molds

Ok I have never pour soft plastics but I have an interest because I enjoy fishing swimbaits. I have no interest in buying molds because I want to create my own swimbaits 

What I am thinking is I want to try making my own open pour mold and test it out by melting down some old soft plastics to pour. Yes I am thinking of try a cheap redneck test to see what I think of the process :lolhuh:

I have seen molds made out of plaster. I also have smooth on mold max 30 on hand has anyone made an open pour using this before?

Any advice before I blindly redneck my way through this 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Sure hundreds of molds.  Only down side of RTV for large baits takes a lot longer to cool down compared to the plaster of paris  (prefer durhams) from my experiences.  So you have to make a lot of them which adds up for RTV silicone.  

Good to know 

how long would you recommend waiting to de mold a large swimbait with RTV?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Travis said:

For a mud puppy lure I was waiting  pushing two minutes before I could remove from the mold and then it had to be floated in water as core was still liquid and bait would deform if cooled on a rack.

Thanks and definitely useful information for the size of bait this will likely lead to