Mason52

Coffin bill lexan diving lips

Anyone know where I could buy some 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 inch Lexan coffin bill diving lips for a musky bait I’d like to try and make..

I don’t have the tools to make them and can’t seem to find any online that I’ve come across. 
‘thanks 

Edited by Mason52
Spelling

On 2/1/2020 at 5:40 PM, Mason52 said:

Anyone know where I could buy some 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 inch Lexan coffin bill diving lips for a musky bait I’d like to try and make..

I don’t have the tools to make them and can’t seem to find any online that I’ve come across. 
‘thanks 

give me your exact measurements and how many do you want?

Are you buying premade musky baits?  Typically tools needed to make lips are very basic and overlap with those used in general wooden lure making or any very basic tool "set" owned by a homeowner, renter, etc..  No power tools, no big deal, as hand tools easily can accomplish this task.  Many of the basic power tools can be used also but will skip over those.

Any of the fine tooth bladed saws will suffice for cutting out lips.   Hacksaw, coping saw, or various pull saws available.  Easily under 20 bucks and not to difficult new for under 10.  Sand paper and a flat surface all you need extra.  Three very cost effective choices below that won't take up a lot of space, won't cost a lot of money, and all will cut out lips with no issue.  

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-Marples-7-25-in-Dovetail-Cut-Pull-Saw/1000235177

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-10-in-Extra-Fine-Cut-Hack-Saw/50208805

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-Premium-Pro-6-5-in-Coping-Saw/1000239829

Heck a few grits of sandpaper and you can sand to shape no problem. 80-120 then 220 for coffin bills.   Dremel with cut off wheel even.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Dremel tool and all the other stuff you mentioned and I’ve tried to make them. It’s the skill I don’t have. no i don’t buy pre made I make my baits. My woodworking tools are at the least very limited but I can make a few baits. I mainly make buck tails and copy a crane minnow bait out of balsa wood that I just buy the lips for. Trying to make a crank bait for a buddy and when I try and make the coffin bills they look like a 2 year old made them, so I thought I’d try to buy some. 

I haven’t looked in the new Rollie n Hellens catalog yet but , I’m gonna here in a few 

If you are just doing a few for personal use I have a trick that make straight edge style lips easier. Rough cut your lexan don’t try and make it perfect leave a bit to sand off. Take a set of duck bill pliers clamp them on the line and sand of right up to the pliers. Do this for each edge and you will have no issues 

• Like 1

I got one made that actually looks like it’s gonna work. I did lots of sanding on one I had tried to cut out prior to reading the posts on here. I had some big square bills and had cut the corners off of them.  I’ll try and post a pic when I get it all finished 

thanks boys 

• Like 2

Travis and Hillbilly Voodoo basically cover all that I have to say.

If you have managed to make a body, the easy part is making the lip. It is just a simple profile cut, even the finish is just not important.

What IS important is the need to experiment with your lip size, and if you buy pre-made lips, you will be unlikely to experiment. You will either be happy or very disappointed.

The whole game of lure creation is about experimentation. It is the fundamental process of learning. Get stuck in my friend. Build, test, and make notes for future reference.

Dave

• Like 2