B-Rad Baits

Epoxy/D2T Issues

I hope the pic shows what I'm talking about well enough. When I'm using D2T I always seem to get a haze across the back of my baits.  I've tried letting it set up a little bit,  using it right after mixing,  mixing slow,  mixing fast, hitting it with a torch before and after application, and  it always seems to show up. I'm applying it at room temp and using a rotisserie to turn them after applied.  D2T seems to be the overall top choice on this forum so I assume it's me.  I am in Denver and a little above a mile high in altitude.  Not sure if that's making a difference. 

20200209_155606.jpg

Looks like amine blush.  If the bait has cured try wiping down with rubbing alcohol and/or warm soapy water and then pat dry.  Is it still present?  

Amine blush and can occur in cool humid conditions with the application of epoxies.   Moisture and temperature are variable we can control to minimize the likely hood of occurrence.    If using wood blanks and float tested make sure they are dry before painting and if using water based paint make sure they have cured.  You always want a dry substrate when coating with epoxy. 

Run a dehumidifier in a room to reduce humidity.  At lower temperatures the epoxy cures slower and you increase the amount of amine blush that forms as more moisture comes into contact,  so heat can help speed the reaction.   A light box with an incandescent bulb is often enough to warm to reduce the issue just take some precautions with the build or just bump the temp up a few degrees in the room.  Typically 75 to 85 ° and 50 % or below relative humidity are good ranges to work with epoxy whether we are talking lures, wood working, boat building, etc....  

Edited by Travis

Are you using the same Devcon syringe or bottles or same thing occurs with different sources?  Your mixing container...does the cured residual epoxy do the same?

I have not had amine blush be an issue with Devcon 30 minute epoxy and have been using it for going on 16 years or more on lures.  Based on what you have tried I wouldn't think the moisture in the bait/paint would not be an issue.   Mixing issues almost always end up being tacky/slow curing baits or lumpy (faster cure) portions in the cured clear.   

I still believe your picture is consistent with amine blush.  Typically if it makes its way to the surface it can be cleaned up completely or to a degree with the soapy water or may rub out with alcohol.  May be trapped within the coat and didn't migrate to top of bait. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve not seen amine blush with D2T but anything Is possible.  If the “blush” is caused by very small bubbles, mix 3-4 drops of denatured alcohol into the epoxy after mixing the resin and hardener, to thin the mix and expel bubbles.  To me, epoxy is half choosing a brand to get qualities you want and half using a set of techniques that will result in a good finish.  We can’t see how you did it, in detail.  What works for me with D2T is to measure it with syringes, mix the hell out of it, thin it with a few drops of DN, and apply it with a flat 1/4” artist brush that helps me brush on a uniform coat while breaking any bubbles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1