CoreyH

quick drill bit question

With cedar I have no wondering issues by applying pressure creating an indentation before drilling 

If I need to add lead ballast to a resin bait(rarely do this anymore) I drill a shallow pilot hole so the tip of the countersink does not wonder. All you need is enough to rest the point of the countersink in to start 

This solves the wondering issues for me and I use a cordless drill not a drill press so it’s easy to wonder. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I think I'll try the forstner bit and see how I like it.  I have a small drill press I'm using, but I have found that my normal bit just wants to wander sometimes until I really get the hole started.  I haven't made any baits with eyes yet, but watching some youtube videos it appeared a forstner bit was being used for that purpose as well.  Once again, I appreciate the help!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoreyH said:

What is that?  Looks like a grinding/sanding attachment for a dremel, but I've never seen a pink one before.  Where you do you get them?

They are grinding stones and they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Too big for a dremel but they work in a cordless drill. Most big hardware stores carry them. 

Edited by Hillbilly voodoo

8 hours ago, CoreyH said:

When drilling the hole for your ballast weight and also for putting eyes on your bait, do you use a lip & spur bit or a forstner bit?  I've just been using a "standard" bit but it wants to wander too much and I like the centering point on both the lip & spur and forstner bits. 

I typically use either a forstner or a brad point and both used with a drill press   I have been using a cheap set of forstner bits and they do a good job as long as I keep up with sharpening.  I use a brad point bit most of the time now as the set I bought  a few years ago perform flawlessly for the task.    

Drilling holes... doesn't get much more mundane right.   I splurged  a few years ago and decided to buy myself a set of Lee valley HSS imperial brad point bits.    Strange doing something so simple (since child hood)  and coming to the instant realization drilling the first hole that a quality bit does something so exponentially better than everything I had used in the past.   

• Like 1