Musky Glenn

dipping musky size tube baits

Upon using my tailpipe tube for an extended period of time I learned of several draw backs. First, the diameter may be to small as plastic tends to solidify to the sides of the pipe giving less room for dipping. Any touching of the sides causes terrible deformity to the dipped tube. Second, the best way is to let the dipped plastic cool between dips which also causes the plastic in the tube to harden also. This means cleaning out the pipe and remelting the plastic. It is an easy cleanup but still time consuming. Some type of controllable heat source might be an answer but I suspect controlling it would be hard as you only have a small temp window from approx. 315-375 degrees and I suspect this would cause hotter temps on bottom which would mean some type of stirring mechanism. It does make a nice product at a high cost of labor. In my situation it took two cups of plastic to fill pipe to working depth but it only took 1/4 cup to make the tube. I am a one man operation making for my self so two cups of each color takes more plastic than I want to commit to a project. I had thought about making all of them white then dipping in dye for what ever color I want.