Vodkaman

Forum Vs Gallery

One of the unique features of TU is the gallery, which is the separation between displaying your work and the learning/teaching processes.

To this day, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what you can post in a forum without everyone stepping on your neck. So, here is my understanding and interpretation of the rules, which I admit that I haven't read in a while. I generally go through them a couple of times a year.

Gallery - to show off pics of lures. That is all, the sole purpose. You can get the 'feel good' of people respecting and appreciating your skills as a creator.

Forum - a place to receive and give knowledge. By documenting your process of a build you are giving knowledge. People will read and learn how it is done. Other people will see better ways to do the process, this is good too because you get to learn. Photos are very important for this process.

The forum is a place to ask questions about a process, be it construction or painting, again, photos help enormously. You discover a new process or idea, post it in the forum with pics, spread the knowledge and answer questions.

The general forum is exactly the place for build documentation and photos.

If you have a specific problem with your beautifully painted lure that doesn't swim properly, the question belongs in the forum. The photo will raise eyebrows, so you better be genuine in your request for information and a solution to your problem. Nonetheless, the post belongs in the forum.

If you think that my thinking is incorrect then let me know, I will welcome correction or criticism happily.

What is tour interpretation?

Can the rule be improved?

Not everyone likes the forum/gallery system but personally, I LOVE IT. There is nothing worse than flipping through the new posts in the forums only to discover that it is another 'Look at what I have done' post.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

This is an old post but I'll weigh in. The form has specific categories in which certain topics will fall under. Whether it be showing off a new design or actively showing the evolution of a product from beginning to end. Which you talk a lot about, but I've never seen a forum in which you have done so. I've seen some where you talk about the science behind some of your designs, but never have posted any pictures from beginning to end. I think you're just as afraid as we all are of someone stealing your design. I hate that we live in a world like that, but it's reality. Just look who's online there's only ever no more than 10 members and like 80 guests. I know you and I think differently, which I believe is a good thing. If we're both open-minded we could learn from each other. I feel like when I talk to you my words fall on deaf ears. To go back to the topic at hand. Throw the rulebook out. This is one man's opinion, I myself love seeing people's new work and I will give them constructive criticism or congratulate them on a great design. A little compliment or a little help goes a long way Dave. It might just be the encouraging words one might need continue doing what they love doing and those encouraging words might lead did them having a successful business in this industry. So I think, and it's just my opinion, it falls under the correct category then no member should have a problem with it. But that's another one man's opinion. Not everybody see the world the same way you do Through Your Eyes. I think you are a brilliant man. I've seen your CAD work, it's second to none. But I believe people on this forum including myself, do things just a little differently than you do. No one way is better than the other.

Shepherd – I have only, as far as I recall, posted one lure from beginning to end, and the reason for that instance was that the construction and installation of hardware was totally new; Bawal12. I included a video of the detailed construction and even offered up plans for those interested.

In my early days on this site, yes, I was concerned about copying, especially as I thought that I was on to something with hunting lures which was my main project and always has been. However, I never cracked hunting in those early days.

Also early on, I analyzed the whole industry of lure manufacture, the time and cost elements, and made the decision that I was not going to take part in the industry, and so nothing from that day forward was kept secret.

When I finally did crack hunting theory in 2013, I posted a detailed description of how it works with nothing held back. I even receive a couple of caustic messages for releasing this information, as some had built a thriving business on hunting lures, even if they didn’t understand exactly what they were doing or how the lures worked.

The Bawal12 lure post was actually a hunter design also. The post preceded the hunting theory post as I had not fully understood the theory even though I knew how it worked.

The next and current project is an extension of the hunting project, taking it all to the next level, the triple point project (2019). I posted on my ideas in a lot of detail even though I did not have a lure to back up my hypothesis. I have a CAD design but I have not worked on the project for a long time. If I ever pick up a 3D printer, it will be one of the first projects that I re-visit.

I will also have more thinking to do because this lure is directly transferable to injection molding production. I could either produce it myself or sell the design. Either way, the hypothesis has already been posted for anyone who wishes to experiment with the ideas.

If you read the above linked posts which contain my best work (IMO) I think you will change you preconception that I am afraid to share.

I don’t understand the ‘deaf ears’ bit.

The next bit about constructive criticism and encouragement are ideals that I believe in, but they take place in the gallery which is an area of TU that I so rarely visit. The reason being that I do not want my ideas to be corrupted in my head by what others are doing. Here is an interesting fact for you; I have NEVER bought or owned a crankbait, glider or any other style of hardbait. My only experience is with my own builds.

Agreed, there are many ways to go about design and build of lures. Mine is probably the most complex, and certainly only a few would follow. However, my instructional post on Archimedes and how to use it, I think many builders would find extremely useful. I did not develop this particular idea, I discovered it in the depths of TU and brought it back to life. Incidentally, I also linked the origin of the idea so as not to claim all the credit for myself.

If you do a search on vortex and vortices, you will find that I introduced these words when I figured out how lipped lures, and for that matter, how ALL lures work. I did not hold back this information as I felt that it was important knowledge that designers should be aware of.

I don’t post start to finish builds because there are way too many other members who are more skilled at building, and I would only be duplicating their processes and taking credit. I only post new ideas without holding back.

I hope this lengthy reply clears up a few points. I just read your follow up post, so thank you for the retraction, but having spent an hour typing and researching, I am not throwing this post away :)

Dave

It was not meant to be an 'I am' thing, but I guess it does read that way. It was meant to explain what I am all about; ideas, hypothesis, theory, testing and proving. You will definitely NOT find a single photograph of a finished lure made by me, there has never been one. I do actually own a Pasche and an Iwata HP-C plus. The Pasche was used a few times to apply base coats and the Iwata has never had air through it. I made the decision not to paint as it was a distraction, and of course, I believe in action as being the fish attractor and not paint.

It did actually distress a few members that I was not a fisherman, I think they felt that I was a fraud. Yes, I have caught fish, but only in testing, to prove that the lure works and catches.

I love my hobby and I love TU were I can discuss my hobby, as it tends to fall on deaf ears in the pub, and even here on TU at times.

I also write lengthy posts and complex explanations, another failing that irritates people, but I do try to keep it simple, not my forte :)

Dave