HokieMusky527

New to airbrushing...lil help?

Hello Hello all!  So i have yet to post any of the lures i have made because they were all done with lack of powertools and painted with rattle cans... but they work well (for the most part) and look half way decent i guess (for spray paint anyway).   I recently ordered a Iwata Neo CN airbrush that just arrived, have picked up a compressor and the like, but the only thing i really need left to get is some paints.  Any recommendations for a good set or some colors/type to start painting with?  I know i have seen this before about needing your bases white/black and a few of the other "natural" colors... But i am just curious what most of you all use, water based? acrylic? Fingernail polish?  haha and any tips you can provide to keep the learning curve from being too steep!  As most of you can see i finally was able to get some of my better fish pictures from the past loaded onto the site, and i will definitely get to work on posting the lures i made from the first crappy "glider" to the few i am really proud of, one being like a topwater/popper/spook type lure that i have hooked 2 musky on but not been able to land them.  That particular lure i have never really seen anything like it and kinda stumbled into its design and shape by accident...lucky accident i guess haha!~  I greatly appreciate any and all info given and will make sure to post the pictures from here on out and hopefully will be able to make my lures that much nicer with this new tool.  Any info from paints, to technique, to cleaner and thinners and DON'TS  would be amazing.  I have only been an active member here for a few weeks now but have been a long time learner from most of you.  I hope that in the future i can help other "newbies" a fraction of the amount of help i have received here.  Actuallyi will post a pic of the first lure i  made in the hardbait album, after my hunting accident... filled with bird shot... making the scale pattern took HOURS LOL

Edited by HokieMusky527
sorry about posting the pic here... didnt mean to break the rules

My .02

Buy quality airbrush paint and reducer to start with and stay away from craft paint and homemade reducers. Ya they cost more but you will reduce you're learning curve greatly and won't have as many issues. The Neo has a .35 tip and won't shoot craft paint well.  I like Createx and Wicked paints and get them from Coast Airbrush, they have decent prices and a lot to choose from. Youtube has vids on painting to help get you started. 

Edited by AZ Fisher
  • Like 3

I was about to say the exact same thing.  I don't have any experience with the Neo.  But I went the cheap route as far as paints when I started, and it was frustrating.  Airbrush paints like Createx wicked, or I like Golden High flow are much better to paint right out of the bottle.  And if you need to reduce, there are cheaper alternatives, but experiment after getting to learn how to paint with proper reducer.  Plus a small bottle last me almost forever.   Get some bright colours and experiment!  Make your own quick stencils with cardboard or tape (stencils are your friend!).  If the paint job is a failure (the fish wont care btw), then you can always just paint it white and start again.  

Lots of great youtube tutorials also.  Check out Engineered Angler, DJcustombaits, marling baits, solarbaits.

• Like 2

Great! sounds like a plan... I have watched every Marlingbaits video, he says he uses all waterbased paints, and have also watched a bunch of Solar's stuff and a bunch of "Blue Ridge Musky" and SBFishing vids with DjsCustom lures in them.  Thats a great point...if not happy with the paint and pattern, spray white/black and start again fresh!  Really appreciate all the help guys!

• Like 1

All the paints that we've talked about here like Createx, golden, createx wicked, jacquard or testors aztek paints are water based paints. Waterbased = Acrylic.   I believe Marling bought the entire Createx wicked collection and he likes them.  He does not overthink painting.  I don't think he has ever reduced his paint, or even changed his psi in his compressor lol.  That is awesome. 

• Like 1

All good advice above. Reducing your paint so it sprays nice and keeping your airbrush clean is important. Keep a notebook for colour recipes because you won’t remember what you have done. really mess around with it goes a long ways 

I use all kinds of random things for stencils combs, mesh, and whatever catches my eye

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eastman03 said:

I believe Marling bought the entire Createx wicked collection and he likes them.  He does not overthink painting.  I don't think he has ever reduced his paint, or even changed his psi in his compressor lol.  That is awesome. 

HAHA yea he has never mentioned changing PSI or anything... i always see his GIANT assortment of paints and just see like $1000 sitting there so just looking for the $50-$100 starting options that would be best.  All the info is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Yea i have seen people get all kinds of crazy stuff for patterns/stencils at like hobby lobby or jo-ann fabrics, and a bunch of people use all different kinds of eyes, like off stuffed animals and all kinds of things.  First thing that i found out today that will be harder than i thought would be to find the right size coupler to attach my airbrush to the hose and compressor i got... found out would be much easier/cheaper to just go ahead and order one from IWATA

When I started I purchase the 6 set createx opaque and the set of transparent. Since then I've purchased a couple of pearlized colors, silver, gold, and white, and recently a set of fluorescent. I only needed a couple of colors but cheaper by the pack for what you get. I rarely thin them any more.

With the airbrush...I will set it lower if I need to do some tricky gill or fin stuff and just want to dust, but I find that keeping the pressure up a bit and pull back less on the trigger I get less splatter, especially when I first pull it.

Not that experienced yet... still learning.

7 minutes ago, DGagner said:

When I started I purchase the 6 set createx opaque and the set of transparent. Since then I've purchased a couple of pearlized colors, silver, gold, and white, and recently a set of fluorescent. I only needed a couple of colors but cheaper by the pack for what you get. I rarely thin them any more.

With the airbrush...I will set it lower if I need to do some tricky gill or fin stuff and just want to dust, but I find that keeping the pressure up a bit and pull back less on the trigger I get less splatter, especially when I first pull it.

Not that experienced yet... still learning.

I really appreciate the tips, even if you are fairly new to it yourself.  You have the most recent "learning curve" and know what would have made your start easier! Thanks a bunch!

Ok I don’t know what some are doing to shoot un thinned createx but it doesn’t work well for me at all

I use a Neo and a small hobby compressor. If I don’t thin my createx paint it gums up and shoots poorly 

Always been more of a builder and only started stepping up my painting level over the last year so there is no doubt there is something I am missing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Ok I don’t know what some are doing to shoot un thinned createx but it doesn’t work well for me at all

I use a Neo and a small hobby compressor. If I don’t thin my createx paint it gums up and shoots poorly 

Always been more of a builder and only started stepping up my painting level over the last year so there is no doubt there is something I am missing 

I don't know but I can just let you know what I'm using. I've got the Iwata hp-cs. I'm using a 3 gallon compressor with external pressure gauge  that I've had in the shop for a long time. I used to thin the paints when I started but don't any longer. Like I said above, except in small 'dusting' sprays, I turn the pressure up a bit to 30ish lbs and pull back on the trigger less. I get less spattering that way and a more even flow.

• Like 1

My hobby compressor is tiny and dose not adjust. I think I will have to test my airbrush on my shop compressor and see if it’s a lack of psi issue 

For years I just spray bombed things so I just took the advice from the lady at the store with airbrush stuff. Got told always thin your paint and this little compressor works. It does work but now I am thinking I may be working too hard do to my set up

10 minutes ago, HokieMusky527 said:

all good to know!  I guess its all dependent on you 1) airbrush 2) compressor and PSI 3) your paint 4) amount of thinner added

When I made my first bait I made a series of 6 videos detailing all the research, purchases, processes etc. from the perspective of someone who is trying to get geared up to do this. So many videos show making a bait but leave out all the details, the minutia of things. I made a webpage to go with the videos that showed all the materials I obtained and what was needed, with explanations. Some of that info has now been modified after making baits for awhile. It would only be palatable to someone wanting this info. Probably long for any one not looking to do this. Take for what you will.  The page is here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Not just you.  I bought a pack of Createx airbrush colors as everybody seems to like them.  They are however about the consistency of honey and need close to 50/50 reduction.  They also need much more thorough mixing than my other brands or I get chunks that clog the tip.  They are still usable, just need a little more attention compared to other brands I'm using.

I wonder if I just got a pack that sat on a shelf for years and evaporated some of the solvents.  They were sealed with the paper top but, I'm sure there's still a shelf life?   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Navin_R_Johnson said:

Not just you.  I bought a pack of Createx airbrush colors as everybody seems to like them.  They are however about the consistency of honey and need close to 50/50 reduction.  They also need much more thorough mixing than my other brands or I get chunks that clog the tip.  They are still usable, just need a little more attention compared to other brands I'm using.

I wonder if I just got a pack that sat on a shelf for years and evaporated some of the solvents.  They were sealed with the paper top but, I'm sure there's still a shelf life?   

I have bought createx from multiple suppliers and it’s all fairly thick. I reduce mine less than 50/50 more like 30/70. I use opaque, pearls, and florescents

Still like createx but shooting pure is not an option with my present set up. Still need to try it at a higher psi 

10 hours ago, eastman03 said:

Yup regular createx needs thinning for sure. Some colours seem thinner by nature. Not sure why. 
the wicked line, golden hi flow and testors Aztec all are thin enough for me out of the bottle. As well as inks. I may thin a bit if I’m doing small details. 

I agree for the most part. Createx especially the pearls I thin down. Wicked I do not need to thin down the Detail colors, however the regular Wicked Line I will very sightly thin, like 90/10 ratio. I also agree color matters as some are thicker/thinner then others. 

• Like 1

The vids I've made on youtube show me making a half dozen cranks. All painting was done straight from the bottle. Createx, opaques, transparents, pearls, and lately fluorescents. Some are naturally thinner but they all spray well with the correct pressure adjustments. I started out thinning, because some people do but quickly found out that they worked as well and often better straight.

9 minutes ago, DGagner said:

The vids I've made on youtube show me making a half dozen cranks. All painting was done straight from the bottle. Createx, opaques, transparents, pearls, and lately fluorescents. Some are naturally thinner but they all spray well with the correct pressure adjustments. I started out thinning, because some people do but quickly found out that they worked as well and often better straight.

I still plan to test the higher psi and pure createx because I can see advantages in some situations. It’s cold enough here my paint might freeze if I try it in my un heated shop where I keep my big compressor :lolhuh:. In a few days when it warms up I will try

In the end with anything a builder has to go with what works for them no matter what stage of the process. There is always more than one way to get the job done. I try everything for a reason and have all kinds of things I do that are not common tricks to lure building 

• Like 2