Hillbilly voodoo

Lure holders for painting big baits

As I increase the number of baits I make and the more detail I have added my paint stand is just not practical anymore 

I need options for working on multiple baits and handling lures up to 8inch 4once. Needs to be hands free

I have seen the lollipop style used on small lures but worry the connection may fail on large baits. Worry about just a single gator clip holding the lure. Something like this combined with a peg board might work if it has a stable connection 

What kind of DIY lure holders are those making large baits using?

pics would be great 

It appears my overthinking has gotten the best of me with this issue. The stand I use now I made years ago is a bulky rotating stand that holds baits with springs and hooks. Nice when I am painting but takes up too much space and you have to be careful removing the lure so you don’t scratch it. 

These are much easier and cheaper to build. 

If going to do multiple style baits then drilling multiple holes the way to go.  Just make a simple grid layout and no need to glue in the dowels.  When not used for larger baits can just hold normal baits vertically/horizontally for use.    A 1 inch layout manages to cover most needs and you can go diagonal as well if needed for some baits.  Can also arrange baits in row and make a pass back and forth and highlight the belly on all the lures, back etc.. when painting comes in handy for a lot of different things if doing smaller numbers.

It is good for glue up for multiple jointed baits. Alligator clip the nose then, hinge between first/second segment, stick a tooth pick in the back of second segment and hold with alligator clip and wait for glue to dry. 

DSC_0069.thumb.JPG.174c858b44c3b5eaa8a83622bac345b5.JPG

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine is a little more complicated as you would expect, but it does work and you will only need one clamp per lure. The clamp remains on through all painting and epoxy processes, and even fixes to the drying wheel for which it was initially designed.

Material is 1/2" dia aluminium bar. You can see the clamp slot cut on a band saw or hacksaw. Chamfers formed on a belt sander.

The 4.2 dia hole is tapped for 5mm Allen bolt.

The rear shallow chamfer pushes into a 12mm dia hole, on a block and a drying wheel. Just sand until you get the fit you want.

Dave63755373_clampdowel.thumb.JPG.6095f2747b3de5a4cb67e4ab0ee53271.JPG

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/33862-big-lure-holder/?tab=comments#comment-279044

My holder is sort of like Raven's holder. I use scrap wood and L brackets to make them. The eye bolt and swivel allow for manual rotation. Tighten the nut to prevent rotation. Add an eye screw on the side of the end to hang it vertically.