CoreyH

where to buy balsa

I just started making crankbaits a month or so ago and I've been using PVC trimboard.  I'm going to continue to use PVC as well, but I bought a block of basswood from Menards and decided to try using it last night.  I really enjoyed shaping it and sanding it.  There's something about working with the wood instead of the PVC that I just like better.  Anyway, when I was originally looking for balsa, I only found the basswood blocks at the places I stopped (Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, Walmart).  I'd like to try balsa (who knows, maybe I'll like the basswood better), but just don't know if there's a good place online that carries it?  I see some listed on Amazon but just wasn't sure if there was somewhere better to get it?

Yeah, it's never a good sign when a company named Balsa Wood Inc. can't find any balsa to sell.  I haven't checked Hobby Lobby yet, so maybe I'll try there.  I'm not looking for a bunch of it, just a block to try and make a few lures from to see how I like it compared to the basswood.  But if I like it, it would be nice to know of a place that sells it at a decent price and has it in stock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcromerangler said:

Balsa USA is great supplier. They often have medium/high density in stock which is what you want in building a plug.....

Easy ordering over the phone. I've tried National Balsa etc. but they often send low density and it is like a sponge and extremely hard to deal with. 

That's good information to have.  Never having done anything with balsa, I always thought you wanted the low density for maximum buoyancy. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:25 AM, CoreyH said:

That's good information to have.  Never having done anything with balsa, I always thought you wanted the low density for maximum buoyancy. 

If you can make low density fit your production process that's great however it is very weak therefore drilling balast holes hook hangers and lip is a nightmare haha. Medium density to high is still way more buoyant than any plastic manufactured bait.