mark poulson

Great idea shot all to hell.

Mark, Welcome to the world of Musky fishing. I once made a copy of a heavy musky lure out of plastic to reduce weight in casting. I made the lure hollow so it would fill up with water when in the water then immediately drain the water out for casting. Principle worked great but I just couldn't get the action exactly like I wanted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Musky Glenn said:

Mark, Welcome to the world of Musky fishing. I once made a copy of a heavy musky lure out of plastic to reduce weight in casting. I made the lure hollow so it would fill up with water when in the water then immediately drain the water out for casting. Principle worked great but I just couldn't get the action exactly like I wanted.

I originally got into lure makine to replace a 9" Pupfish of my buddies that I borrowed and broke.

I was able to duplicate the lure, and it's big side to side action, but never what I now know is the hollow one knocker sound that the original's hard, brittle plastic made with it's huge ballast ball.

Same deal with the Luhr Jensen Speed Trap.  We call them eggshell baits, because their plastic shell is so thin and brittle it cracks if you look at it too hard.  But the rattling sound it produces is unique.  So we learned to be better casters!

Some lures are just not duplicatable with wood.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/3593-wall-of-shame/

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Still want to see this beast you created 

I've been down for a week with "the cold" that's going around here in NoCal.  Nasty business.

Today's the first day I've felt decent since last Monday.

If I feel better tomorrow I'll take some pics. of the bait.  It's tied on now, and stashed under the boat's cover.

Changing to a lighter or heavier wood won't do anything other than change the amount of lead you need to add. The overall weight of the lure will not change, since the problem is density. The only way to change the weight of the lure is to change the displacement of the lure by reducing thickness, height, or length.

Another possibility is to add a chamber that can flood with water and drain before casting. The chamber should be in the rotational center of the lures action, since fluid acts as a dampener to action.

Edited by Chuck Young
addition
  • Like 1

So I sanded and shaped, and got the final bait down to 87 grams, unpainted.  That's with (2) #2 KVD EWG short shank trebles, and the rate of fall something like 3 feet per minute.  It's a really slow fall, but I am going to fish it shallow anyway.

I am going to finish it and throw it, since it now weighs less that 3 oz.

Here's a picture, before it is primed, showing the ballast locations:

4 inch bluegill glide 2.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Big Epp said:

Looks great Mark.  Question: why do people sometimes put the line-tie horizontal on swim-baits and gliders?

This is just a guess, since I don't know the actual answer.

I use a vertical line tie, and a split ring, for all of my jointed swimbaits, because I think it really enhances the swimming action of the baits.

Except glide baits.

Since the idea of a glide bait is to move effortlessly in a S shaped path, a vertical line tie might act as a rudder, and inhibit the side to side glide a little.

The first bait I ever fished with that S shaped action was the original Gantrel, and it had a vertical line tie, but almost every other glide bait, except Jerry Rago's bluegill, has the horizontal line tie.

Also, I do a direct tie to the bait, with no split ring.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's how I've always fished them.  I think it might keep the pull point centered on the bait more, and that would affect the glide less, too.

Of course, I could be full of it.  It wouldn't be the first time, and certainly wouldn't be the last.  Hahaha

Thanks Mark!  I've never fished with either, though I've used jerk baits like the Suik.  I'm working on a handful of glide baits and swim-baits right now, but because I've never owned any before I'm just sort of making it up and going off pictures. 

My wife recently asked if I could make her a bluegill bait, so I'll probably put together something similar to the one you made for that.  What do you do for the tail?