Juice780

Bellyweight mold

When I did this I just used POP and used the end of my drill bit for size. Just pushed it in at slightly different depths. The I figured out molding belly weights was too much work so I just buy coils of lead and cut the length according to the weight I need. Much faster and you don’t need a bunch of molds. Just keep notes on the length you cut 

• Like 1

I don't have any pics, but it is an easy process with wood.

1 - Two slabs of wood. Harder will produce more pours.
2 - Drill two holes sideways and insert location dowels.
3 - Drill pour holes down the crack between the blocks, the diameter of the ballast.

The pour holes should have about 1/2" of wood between.

Dave

• Like 1

If you really want to mold your belly weights go for it. But it’s way easier, faster, safer, and less equipment if you have access to coils of lead. A one pound coil like in the pic is what I am talking about 

Each to there own but unless you need something fancy I would not be molding belly weights 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Makes sense.  Have you had much success making crankbaits that don't need lead?  I'm sort of on a crank bait kick at the moment, and the first one without lead just flipped over and planed on the surface.  

The coil looks like a great way to go though, especially without a lead pot.

• Like 1

I use lead wire for my ballast in my PVC swimbaits, either 1/4" solid for bigger baits, or 3/16" solid for thinner baits.

I use premade belly weights with hook hangers from Lurepartsonline for most of my cranks.  They are so convenient, and work really well.  https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Plug-Belly-Weight-Inserts

39 minutes ago, DGagner said:

I just pour them in the bait but it brings to mind when I was a kid. We used to make fishing weights by pouring lead into the groove of a tongue and groove boad, then cut them up.

when I was a kid I would make 15-20 oz weights for sturgeon fishing by making molds in a bin of sand and heavy swivels for a tie point 

tons of options if you want to pour weights. Silicon, POP, sand, wood, bondo, and there is also some putty products that will work. If I was going to make belly weights again I would probably go silicone. I bet if someone posted this in the wire bait forum the guys who work with lead lures probably have a trick or two

Bondo works, but it does soften with heat. Not a big deal, but if you are trying to pour a years worth in one session, then several molds would be a good idea.

PoP works, but make sure you have the mold dried out to the maximum. PoP is not a great idea as heat converts the cured PoP back to the original powder, so you will likely only get a few pours.

Dave

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:40 PM, mark poulson said:

I use lead wire for my ballast in my PVC swimbaits, either 1/4" solid for bigger baits, or 3/16" solid for thinner baits.

I use premade belly weights with hook hangers from Lurepartsonline for most of my cranks.  They are so convenient, and work really well.  https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Plug-Belly-Weight-Inserts

I’ve used those but they are too expensive for doing a lot of baits. I think I’m going to buy a do it drop shot mold and modify it then cut the weights to size. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juice780 said:

I’ve used those but they are too expensive for doing a lot of baits. I think I’m going to buy a do it drop shot mold and modify it then cut the weights to size. 

I wonder if you can cast a really stout crane swivel with that mold, so you can have a swiveled hook hanger.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show how to make molds for pouring belly weights for lures.They can be made out of hardwood or metal. Years ago I just clamped 2 pieces of angle iron back to back and drilled the hole where the faces of the angle iron fitted together.Easy as pie.

Ben

• Like 1

I use LPO belly weights in 3, 4, and 5 grams.  But I also use Gremlin barrel sinkers is 1/8 oz and I can twist my wire hook hangers and put it thru the center of the barrel sinker.  It works out to be about 3-1/2 grams.  After that, for additional weight, I borrowed a drop shot mold and poured a bunch of the largest sizes without using the line swivel.  Then I took a hunk of thick steel and drilled  a lind of holes in it with each hole getting deeper.  Holes are slip fit for the drop shot weights.  I slip the drop shot weights in the hole I want and use a wood chisel to cut it to length just sliding the chisel flat with the surface of  the steel and give it a tap.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, Vodkaman said:

I agree. If I found coil lead, I would never pour lead again. But here in Bandung, I have only found lead sheet.

You could probably, measure, cut it with a snipper and pound it a bit with a hammer if needed.

Maybe roll it. Something along those lines.