Brick Steel

Crackle for a 'veiny' look

Crackle is an old topic on this forum, but I have just started experimenting with using crackle to get a veiny (as in varicose vein) look on some baits.  It seems that the crackle works well on a smooth surface and not so well on baits with molded in scales and other features.   I've attached two images. One before applying crackle (red, yellow and light blue) and one of the finished product.  I am not thrilled with the way the back (top) turned out.  It has very little crackling.  I realized that the back was a little rough from sanding and not as smooth as the sides and am wondering if that could be the issue?

crackle dt6 on dryer smaller.jpg

crackle dt6 under color smaller.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When going for a crackle look and parts of the bait don't come out like you'd hoped for it's easily remedied. Take a liner brush and remove all but a few of the bristles and just paint the crackle lines onto the bait with the brush. 

I can't tell you exactly why the crackle doesn't work in certain areas, but the above method will save some aggravation.

good luck.............Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RayburnGuy said:

When going for a crackle look and parts of the bait don't come out like you'd hoped for it's easily remedied. Take a liner brush and remove all but a few of the bristles and just paint the crackle lines onto the bait with the brush. 

I can't tell you exactly why the crackle doesn't work in certain areas, but the above method will save some aggravation.

good luck.............Ben

Hey Ben,

It's good to hear from you.

Mark

I've been wanting to try this and will at some point. I watch youtube vids on it and they seem to manage. I'm finding it interesting that our baits are becoming little works of art, little resembling anything fish would normally think as food. But, we keep pushing the envelope on unusual schemes nevertheless. I'm very guilty of it.

In my experience, the amount and size of the cracking is more related to the viscosity of the topcoat paint. The thicker the paint and the more applied,  the larger the cracking will be.   In your pic it looks like the white was thicker, as opaque white usually is, and the black was a thinner coat or had been reduced. Do some practicing on some scrap pvc until you get the consistency you're looking for. Opaques crack better than pearls, candies and transparents,   My .02