HokieMusky527

Looking for my First Fish Finder...lil help?

•  

Hello all!  So i have come across some posts like this from 10 years ago and just wanted to know everyones opinion now.  I would like to stay @ or around $500 but 3-4 would be great.  I have been going out with a buddy for stripers lately and he has a new Lowrance with down and side imaging and some of the stuff i have seen on it is UNBELIEVABLE!  He mainly uses the chirp but while we are crusing around looking for schools of fish the side imaging is really cool.    The thing is i only have a little 12' fiberglass jon boat with a 15hp on it.  I almost  exclusively fish the NEW River here in southwest Virginia.  Average depth is probably only 5-8 feet but there are sections with 60+ feet. The river is loaded with ledges and structure.  I have in the past looked at google earth for structure or holes or put a big egg sinker on and dropped it down to find the "deep holes" Just really wanna hear everyones opinion about this so i know where to start.  I mainly fish for Musky and smallmouth, with some catfish mixed in, but chase walleye and others when the time is right if ya know what i mean haha.  I am starting to think that i could get away with just some chirp but the more i think about it i really think that some Side Imaging would really really help out.  But are there some problems with the returns in a river compared to a lake?  The fact that i only really fish rivers  makes this a very nervous predicament for me...i just dont even know where to start!  I have watched tons of youtube videos and articles and websites and stuff but really need to hear what the actual fishermen have to say!  Thanks for reading this and responding with your 2 cents...

Zach

Side imaging definitely will not be use less in an 8 foot deep river. Although i realize that this isn't deep what about scanning when idling up or down river & finding a huge school that you wouldn't have saw otherwise?  It's also good for finding brush piles, rock piles etc. I have side & down imaging at the console & trolling motor both & wouldn't have it any other way. Humminbird  units are pretty easy to maneuver through. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if i were you & if you get another boat you can also move it to it. I have an old humminbird 798 ci si that is loaded with hours  at the console that i've had on an old sprint boat, an h-56 Xpress, a Dyna Trak 180 STE & now i have it on my 2003 Stratos 18XL that i've had for almost 6 years. This 798 has a bunch of hours on it, but it's been flawless. I use it for running, but do use it for  scanning for bait & fish. Works real good when striper fishing in spring at night. I run a helix 9 up front & split screen 2d, down imaging & maps sometimes too. I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to purchase the unit i was interested in. They'll do so much more then tell depth & water temps.

Edited by Les Young