CoreyH

split ring size

I am not very familiar with split ring sizes since I generally don't swap out the split rings on baits I purchase.  I had a dozen or so split rings that I had purchased a while back in case I needed to replace a split ring, but have no idea what size they were.  I have used them up and am needing to purchase some more to place on the baits I am making.  I am using .041" stainless steel wire for making my line ties and hook hangers.  What size split ring will open up well without deforming or getting ruined when using the .041" wire?  I have typically been using size 4 treble hooks on the baits I have made so far.  

Thanks for the help.  The ones I had before I believe were the Owner Hyperwire, but I just don't want to spend that kind of money since I've never had a normal split ring fail.  I had two that didn't snap back to normal after trying to put them on my baits, so they were ruined.  I figured they must have been too small since they did that, so I wasn't sure what the "normal" size would be.  Since I plan on getting the less expensive ones, I'll probably get a few different sizes.  But it's good to know the size 2, 4, and then the 6mm are what I need to be looking at.

For me, the only failure I've had with the Barlow's split rings are right when I open them with my split ring pliers.  The bad ones don't reclose after I've opened them the first time, so I just discard those and try another.  Easy to spot.  Otherwise, the split rings are very strong, and I've never had one fail on a fish.

3 minutes ago, CoreyH said:

Mark, that's the exact problem I've had with a couple of the split rings I tried putting on.  That's why I was wondering if I was using too small of a size and by opening them up farther to put them on I was over-flexing them and causing the failures. 

Corey,

I use the #4 rings because they are good for most of the cranks/baits I make.  If a ring won't snap back shut after I put it on a treble hook I immediately replace it.  Since I use .072 screw eyes for some of my hook hangers, being able to slip onto that size eye is my test.  I just haven't found a split ring smaller than #4 that will consistently work for me.  I do use smaller rings sometimes, but those are on small baits that are thrown on light line, so the line will break before the rings open up.  If I'm using a lighter wire split ring for my line tie, before I tighten my line tie knot I make sure the gap in the ring is in the line tie itself, so my line knot is on the part of the ring that's doubled, and the knot holds it closed.

One thing that helps is using good split ring pliers.  I’ve used Texas Tackle pliers for years and many consider them top of the heap.  Very rarely get tweaked or open rings with them.  However, I just saw a YouTube video about a guy who bought some on Amazon and got cheap Chinese knockoffs.  Either knockoffs or the Texas Tackle folks have sold out!  So I’m hesitant to recommend them unless you buy direct from the he company.

• Like 1

BobP, I actually do use the 4" Texas Tackle split ring pliers.  I bought them from Tackle Warehouse a year or so ago after the guys at Tactical Bassin recommended them.  I have a feeling the ones that failed on me were just bad rings and most likely not the Hyperwire (at least I hope they weren't).

On 2/25/2020 at 7:18 AM, MonteSS said:

The rings from Predator are good and inexpensive. Theirs are listed as 

5mm which are very small and good for small ultralite baits

6mm most popular for regular cranks and jerks, topwater etc.

Where do you purchase these from?  I tried to Google "Predator split rings" but the only ones that came up were split rings made for predators like pike.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, Big Epp said:

Anyone ever use the Eagle Claw split rings?  I know they sell them at Wal-Mart, and they're pretty cheap, but that's pretty concerning...

I think you answered your own question.............. If you look at a per piece price on most hardware, generally speaking, cost difference is minimal between "cheap" and quality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1