Jazzatomo

Any Australians Out There?

G'day crew,

Looking for any Australians that are wanting to jump in on an order ill be doing in the next month or 2.

The current plan is to hopefully get stuff shipped to a friends place in the US, and then she will ship it to Australia to try and cut down on the postage. 

I am intending to be ordering from
- Angling AI
- Spike it
- stankx

and possibly Dead On if I can work out an affordable way to get it shipped. (was quoted 250 to get 2 gallons over to Australia at checkout)

OR at the very least point to a quality plastisol already available here in Australia? So far I have confirmed I wont be purchasing from u-make-em again.

Edited by Jazzatomo

@Jedyrambo 

I am still planning on doing it mate, but with everything that's happened from the beer virus, Ive gone from starting a great job making good money to now waiting to find out if I am going to qualify for centerlink or not. 

I have found a few suppliers, give me a minute and ill message them through to you.

Jake

• Like 1

Gentleman, I am looking at doing a spike it / lureworks order in the next week or so, if you have anything that you have your eye on send it to me in a message by the 23rd, and I will email them and see what they can do on postage on their end. 

As for as money goes, I am thinking half up front before I place the order if that works for you fellas?

I am more than open to discussion.

Jake

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ausangler said:

Do a search on Ebay Aus, for plastisol, there is a company on there (forget the name), that sells high quality plastisol. From memory it is a custom formula from the US, not the cheap stuff Umakem sells.

if your referring to "the fly and lure co" it seems to be invoiced out by u-make-em, so unfortunately they seem to be the same company

Edited by Jazzatomo

I am Canadian so I understand  at least a bit of what you are going thru , but someone here told me to contact companies directly and you may end up getting a better deal on shipping. Baitplastic is an great example , if you go to their web site they don't even ship out of the US. But I was able to get bags a vacuum chamber and an awesome injector with a couple of e-mails and a paypal invoice.

• Like 1

How did you fellas go with the order ?  Did you get it sorted, I'd be interested to know. I've even resorted to ringing chemical companies in Aussie to see if they make a plastisol to suit lure making, but it looks like there isn't a big demand. Looking at 200ltrs+ to make it at least. Considering sellers here want $600 for 20 ltrs of imported plastisol I would have thought there might have been a few crowds willing to have a go at it.

My last lot of imported product was crushed and leaking but seeing the external soggy box wasn't penetrated or broken, the freight mobs said there wasn't a problem. 

11 hours ago, Threadie said:

How did you fellas go with the order ?  Did you get it sorted, I'd be interested to know. I've even resorted to ringing chemical companies in Aussie to see if they make a plastisol to suit lure making, but it looks like there isn't a big demand. Looking at 200ltrs+ to make it at least. Considering sellers here want $600 for 20 ltrs of imported plastisol I would have thought there might have been a few crowds willing to have a go at it.

My last lot of imported product was crushed and leaking but seeing the external soggy box wasn't penetrated or broken, the freight mobs said there wasn't a problem. 

We didn't end up ordering as a group, but I did place a $400 order with MF, and had no issues with the product getting here. Although admittedly I didn't order any Plastisol.

I ended up buying everything Swamp Tackle still had available, which turned out to be a great option, but i am now down to my last bottle of medium and hard plastic, so saving to do an order with Dead-on in the next month or so depending on how many mates want plastics.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:00 AM, aulrich said:

I am Canadian so I understand  at least a bit of what you are going thru , but someone here told me to contact companies directly and you may end up getting a better deal on shipping. Baitplastic is an great example , if you go to their web site they don't even ship out of the US. But I was able to get bags a vacuum chamber and an awesome injector with a couple of e-mails and a paypal invoice.

Thats a great Idea, I tried to do that with MF, but they already had great shipping prices to begin with, so I wasnt stressed. 

3 hours ago, Threadie said:

Thanks for the quick reply, and glad it worked out. Just a shame we have to get the gear from the other side of the globe.

Aint that the truth. The plastisol order I am looking at doing is gonna cost me 3 times more in freight than the product I want to order.

Add to that the exchange rate and then the bank fees, especially seeing the banks don't use the standard rate so lose another 10cents in the $. But it's the price we pay to inhale strange gases from a microwave.

Knock off fishing did have a chemical supplier in Oz (I managed to speak to someone) and the plastisol was phthalate free but they closed the online store down quite a while back. If I manage to chase anything down I'll get in contact.

6 hours ago, Jake Hill said:

Hey guys, 

Did anyone end up finding any quality Australian plastisol suppliers? I’ve been getting my stuff from Troy Sparks, you can find him on Facebook or Instagram. It seems pretty good, but would be curious to see what else is out there. 

Cheers

Carmens soft plastic supplies will have bait plastics in a month or so, Browndog's custom tackle also has BP which is of industry standard. why waste your money on no name rubbish from TS?  Unless you wish to fund his meth addiction. All you guys have talked about no chemical company in Australia that makes lure grade plastisol which is correct. Yet TS claims his "pretty good" plastisol is wholly Australian made ? Makes one wonder

• Like 2

Troy Sparks plastisol is likely sourced in bulk from other retail providers and decanted into smaller containers or relabelled and directly on-sold in a similar fashion to all other retailers. Alternatively he may also have private manufacturing arrangements with an Australian chemical company, or is using a similar thermoplastic product not specifically designed for lures. Of course as stated above, if this is the case it would not be a use-specific product and its unlikely the components are wholly Australian.

Retail providers such as Browndog's and U Make Em make no pretence regarding the source of their plastisol being sourced from US suppliers. This is an advantage, not a disadvantage for the Australian soft plastic lure makers as the US producers have more knowledge and experience in developing Lure specific plastisol blends and in many cases provide clear indications regarding the molecular weight resins that make up their plastisol's.

As The Plastic Man stated there is no off the shelf, direct to retail producer of lure grade plastisol in Australia. There are chemical companies in Australia with the equipment and ability to manufacturer lure grade plastisol but the demand is very small and the manufacturers who do produce a plastisol do so for other industries, not for lures.

One could contact an Australian chemical company to produce a custom batch of plastisol with the optimal properties although the cost for such a batch would likely be cost prohibitive for the home lure maker. Another option would be compromising with an off the shelf plastisol blend, but this would likely be inferior to the US blends.

The final option would be directly sourcing the necessary individual chemical components and producing your own plastisol. Even with this route, to the best of my knowledge, there is no Australian-only production supply chain of the appropriate plasticizers, stabilisers, thixotropes, secondaries or PVC resins. Certainly Troy Sparks Lures is unlikely to be producing plastisol with supply chains from Australian-only chemical manufacturers and applying the appropriate production checks such as dispersion, de-aeration and filtering QC. Most chemicals used in the production of plastisol blends in Australia come from overseas.

The argument stands that if you are buying plastisol for the purposes of lure making in Australia, for now at least the best option is from an Australian retail provider who sources their plastisol direct from a US manufacturer such as Polysol in bulk. You will not get the same price as our US brothers and sisters unfortunately due to shipping costs but you will get a good product. Browndog's seem to have the best prices and range from what I have seen although I have not personaly tested their plastisol yet but look forward to doing so It's exciting to hear other Australian retailers will be providing a plastisol as well.

Unfortunately a lot of the animosity from Troy Sparks Lures around the provenance of his soft plastic lures is the result of a misguided patriotic ignorance with regards to the pre-retail supply chain of the materials he uses. The combative nature of his communications at best captures the hearts of other well meaning but uninformed Australian fisherman. At it's worst it is damaging to the industry he appears concerned to protect and in some cases is arguably defamatory to the other small Australian soft plastic lure makers.

James

Edited by Lurarte
  • Like 1