johnnybigfish

powder paint issue

It looks to me like you may have too much powder on them.  And the blank might have been too hot enough to begin with.

I always do better if my blanks are just

hot enough to get a good, thin coat when dipped quickly, and then tapped to remove any excess before I hang them to cool.  Then I load them in my toaster oven to bake them a 350 degrees for thirty minutes to cure the powder.  I still get some that are not perfect, but that cuts way down on problems, and the fish don't seem to mind.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I agree with Mark. Your lure is too hot. I used to do that all the time.

I actually found that the powder coating stays on better in a thinner coat. Thick coats tended to chip off easier. Some of my best jobs, the powder just barely starts to melt when I dip - it still looks powdery on the surface. Then it fully melts to the surface hanging in the oven.

I usually do six to ten dozen 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads once a year, in multiple colors. I find that different colors of powder take different amounts of heat to start melting to the jig. It's just trial and error to figure out how many seconds to hold each one over the heat to get the perfect result.

• Like 1

+3 on above - 

You probably have 2 things going on...

1. too much heat - which is picking up alot of paint during dip and then bubbles/runs/chips etc.

2. You didn't state how you are dipping.... straight into powder or using a fluidized bed.... if straight into powder - you'll really need to manage the heat to keep the paint from getting on too thick - and I'd recommend making a fluidized bed from PVC, air pump and coffee filters.  If your using a fluidized bed - increase the air as the "lighter/fluffier" the powder is in the bed - the less will stick to the part.

I've gotten same thing you showed at times when I get lazy and just try to heat/dip a lure or jighead into straight powder.... a fluidized bed helps  ton.

J.

2 possibilities, to hot when dipping or contamination from oil on your skin getting on the jig. Possibly too heavy a coat as well. this is my process: I always wear gloves when handling jig heads, both to keep my skin oil off the jig and too keep lead of my skin. I prep jig heads by swishing them in a cup of acetone to remove any contaminants present. I put the heads in an electric skillet with a lid, set at 350 for 10 minutes to heat them and them dip them quickly in a fluid bed. The skillet allows a consistent temp and the fluid bed allows a nice thin, even coat of paint