Les Young

Ukranian Injector problem question?

First off i have a basstackle twinjector & a single 6 ouncer too, but I also  have a Ukranian twin injector  too that after shooting  is extremely hard to remove the tips after shooting. It's almost like the actual tube could be contracting  while cooling off after shooting. I thought about trying different orings since they look like standard black orings. I also thought about taking a chain saw file & making a small groove in each tube to see if that helps.  You litterally  have to strain really hard to remove them & have to push against the bench to put them back on. I'm just wanting to see if i can cure it because i'm not going to use  it &  thought  if there was a safe way to cure it that i may possibly  let another member here that's interested in making laminates have it really cheap since i don't use it anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks

Edited by Les Young

If I did anything to remove any material, I wouldn’t do it on the tube as it is the thinnest material. If material needs removed, do it on the nozzle end and any machinist with a lathe should be able to take a few thousandths off and it shouldn’t be that expensive. It’s a very simple procedure with that equipment. That said, it may be that you can solve the issue with a thinner O ring. Try that first.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

If I did anything to remove any material, I wouldn’t do it on the tube as it is the thinnest material. If material needs removed, do it on the nozzle end and any machinist with a lathe should be able to take a few thousandths off and it shouldn’t be that expensive. It’s a very simple procedure with that equipment. That said, it may be that you can solve the issue with a thinner O ring. Try that first.

Apdriver, i was thinking i'd try the oring first. :worship:

• Like 1

Odds are it o-ring related. Standard Buna-N Rubber O-rings swell over time in exposure to plasticizers; This could explain what you are seeing. Viton rubber holds up a little better try that if you can find them. Ultimately silicon o-rings will be more resilient but more expensive and harder to locate.

Thanks guys, i figure it's o ring related so i'm gonna see what i can come up with to try to cure it You can use it, but it's just really hard to clean out & put the tips back on. I don't use it since i got the basstackle twinjector from Frank anyway.  If not what have i lost ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I spray my injector inside between injections with spray PAM, and the O rings are still good after more than 5 years.

Mark, l've been meaning to try the pam deal because i've saw you post on using it a lot. I have a pint bottle  that's like a colorant bottle that i keep a little worm oil in it. When my injector just starts to tighten up i give them a shot & then squirt it back into the bottle. The o rings in the original  basstackle injector that i bought when i first started  are still in great shape after all this time & i have shot a lot of molds with it. Both decks on my  stratos 18XL  are literally coverd with baits not to mention the tackle wall in the garage right now. Lets don't talk about the storage   compartments in  the boat.  lol

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

Glenn, that would definitely work. I talked to the manufacturer ( authentic handmade) & he says the o rings are pushing it on size so that the ends don't come off very  easy & told me the exact size he uses so i'm trying replacing them first. If that doesn't satisfy me i'll be doing that. I don't use it since i have a single 6 ounce basstackle & also a basstackle twinjector, but figured if i cured it i'd let another member have it real cheap to help them out if anybody was interested. Thanks  :worship:

Edited by Les Young

Jazzatomo, , 3 cm outer diameter & 3 mm thickness is what he said.. This is for the 120 ml dual injector.I'm going to try some o rings at work so we'll see what i come up with. If the guys i work with have the right size  silicone o rings that's what i'm going to try.

Edited by Les Young

On 3/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, Musky Glenn said:

I used the edge of a file to cut a small notch in the end of the cylinder so I could insert a small straight screw driver and twist the nozzle out of the cylinder.

notch.jpg

Glenn, i cut the grooves in the tubes of the ukranian injector & changed o rings to some caterpillar o rings a guy i work with had that had just a tad less thickness & it's easy now to remove the tips. Thanks for the picture of yours. :yay: