Felder

Super glue and accelerator on jig threads

I have never used super glue on thread, however I used to use it on weedguards, and it does wick up quickly and did leave a powdery residue. I do know that if you leave a small fan blowing on the jig with the super glue, you will not get the white residue. The air from the fan, flashes of the fumes emitted from the super glue thus leaving no residue.  I have used thread sealer and epoxy with good results. If you try it post your results here so we can all learn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kris brantner said:

I have never felt glue was ever needed on the bass jigs I tie. 210 flat waxed thread, and 4 half hitch knots. Snip thread and leave about an inch. Never had a jig fall apart. 

Screenshot_20200404-021828.png

Kris,

It looks to me like you're using skirts with an already attached collar.  I make my skirts from skirt tabs, and thread without either some glue, or an overwrap with 28 gauge wire, don't hold up to fishing for me.

6 hours ago, kris brantner said:

No collar on mine. All mine are tied with skirt tabs also. Ive fished my jigs until there's hardly any material left and have never had one fall apart. 

So I put my reading glasses on, and I see you used skirt tabs.  I apologize for not seeing it before.

I'm glad you have had such good success without glue.  You must be a much better tier than I, because I've always had to either use glue/head cement/clear nail polish, or wire afterwards to keep my skirts from coming apart.

2 hours ago, kris brantner said:

Boy I definitely didn't mean to insinuate that I'm better at jig tying than anyone else. I just have always felt it was an unnecessary step. I tie 4 half hitch knots, and leave about an inch inch and a half tag. I suppose if you cut the thread flush with your knot it might come undone

I am serious.  You must be a pretty good tier to have them hold.

I'm jealous.

As has already been stated the skirt will be generally be thrashed before the thread ever lets go on a "properly" tied skirt but I use nylon upholstery thread with no glue instead of the flimsy fly tying stuff . I used to make and sell a lot of jigs and modified my football jig molds to pour a  wire into the head like the old Brawley Bug jig to hold the skirt  material in place  . It was very fast to tie jigs with that set up since one end of the wire was already anchored in the jig head . Jigs I sold I used the wire wrap and never received any complaints about skirts coming apart but I still always preferred to use thread on the ones I made for myself .

Edited by jigmeister
spelling error
  • Like 1