Chonch12

Pouring Lead into wooden bait problem

Hello,

Finally purchased a Lee Lead pot with pour spout. I was putting lead into my first bait and the wood began to smoke, burn, and turn black. I let ist set in a vice and it jsut kept smoking staying liquid. Ive watched videos and cannot find any where someone pours into a wooden bait and has problems. Marling Baits seems to pour then cut the scene. I used a screwdriver to try and shock/lower the temp and have it set faster.

Is there a trick I am missing to lower the temp faster so it hardens and doesn't burn my wood or at least lowers the temp quicker so it hardens?

Thank you

I’ve never made any crank baits before but I do pour jigs and have a lee pot. What number do you have the dial set to?  Sounds like you have it set way to hot. Most of the time I keep mine at around 4-5 for molds and that’s with junk wheel weight lead. I watched one of those videos you mentioned where he was doing belly weight pouring. If I remember correctly the stream of lead was somewhat broken (not a fine, thin consistent stream if that makes sense). This causes me to think he had his temp down just hot enough to make the lead liquid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fishermanbt said:

I’ve never made any crank baits before but I do pour jigs and have a lee pot. What number do you have the dial set to?  Sounds like you have it set way to hot. Most of the time I keep mine at around 4-5 for molds and that’s with junk wheel weight lead. I watched one of those videos you mentioned where he was doing belly weight pouring. If I remember correctly the stream of lead was somewhat broken (not a fine, thin consistent stream if that makes sense). This causes me to think he had his temp down just hot enough to make the lead liquid.

This was the answer, I had the setting way too high. My lead was glowing red on 8, turned it down to about 4.5 and it pours, but doesnt burn or smoke the wood. Sets quickly and perfect, Thanks!

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got the lead pot dialed in and working for you. Just use caution when it starts to drip with the gate shut. Seems to happen to most of these Lee pots over time including mine. A small can like a cat food can will catch the drips and keep them from splattering onto you and the work surface for the most part while allowing you to access the spout. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fishermanbt said:

Glad to hear you got the lead pot dialed in and working for you. Just use caution when it starts to drip with the gate shut. Seems to happen to most of these Lee pots over time including mine. A small can like a cat food can will catch the drips and keep them from splattering onto you and the work surface for the most part while allowing you to access the spout. 

Thanks I just had one of my extra lead ingots there for now but a small can like that is a good idea

• Like 1