Big Epp

Design Problem

25 minutes ago, seakarp said:

Looks pretty good Epp.

I just chanced upon someone else having a go at essentially the same thing .

Here it is:

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 7.28.06 AM.png

Not really close to the same thing because that Teckel Sprinker frog has hooks on top and it's basically weedless while the tail is like a whopper plopper tail and creates the same topwater action.

• Like 1

I looked into the whole theory of rotation mechanics of lips, but I stopped when I reached a full A4 page of text and still hadn’t got to the point. So, I am going to dispense with the engineering explanation and just make the suggestion. It all comes down to how much you are prepared to experiment.

I suggest making a prototype, a tail with a slot to soft-glue in a Perspex or polycarbonate lip. This way you can experiment with shapes.

A rectangular (parallel) lip will have less rotation thus giving a higher threshold before spin. Better still; a lip narrower at the bottom will reduce the rotation further. To keep the same waggle speed you must keep the average lip width the same.

Alternatively, use a double hinge so that both segments are forced to roll, this will give more resistance to roll and so more force available for waggle.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Dave's suggestion about using a double hinge and I would also add some more weight to the front section of the body as low as possible to add more stability. Either that or know you need to work it very slow and methodical. Big fish don't like to chase if they don't have to.

• Like 1