CoreyH

Lure turner motor

I bought this exact bbq rotisserie kit and it works great for me.  I like the little weight that you can move around to counter balance if you need it.   This one easily turns my big muskie lures.  I believe most lure turners are 3-8 rpm. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Grill-Spot-Universal-Rotisserie-Grills/dp/B076X4PXK1

If you are making lures like crankbaits with lips, I would highly recommend a design like I made.  It's super simple, and all you have to do is clamp the lip onto the wood, compared to the style where you have to suspend the lure between two wheels.  But it can get as complicated as you want!  My next design will integrate some sort of lure holder so I don't ever have to hold the lure kinda like this video (@ 1:50, this video is amazing btw!).

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

Edited by eastman03

I scavenged my motor from a junked microwave. It is the turntable motor. It is listed as a 5/6 rpm and seems to be a good speed. Not hard to extract and a breeze to wire into the power cord cut from the same microwave. I have not had any trouble thus far but I will say it is not as robust as a rotisserie motor. It however was free. Just a thought. 

• Like 2

Look for a cup turner on Amazon. They look just like a rotisserie motor but has a short shaft permanently mounted on it so you can attach a wood dowel or square length of wood on it. See below, I just drilled a hole in the end of the wood and pressed it onto the square shaft. A two part stand made with two pieces of plywood and two screws. They cost about $25. Before I got UV resin I did lures with two part epoxy using this. The speed is just right and the thing will turn a turkey so don't worry about what you might want to turn for lures.

Other features: Switch on the back of it, and it has a metal plate to screw it on wood instead of the cleats on rotisserie turners meant to snap onto the side of a bbq grill.

A cup turner is used to put a foam mold on and put cups on it so when it is glazed it turns and dries evenly. It's an arts and crafts thing but works wonderfully for lures. Not inexpensive, but not that expensive either and with a small effort makes the lure turner setup quick and effective.

312446793_ScreenShot2020-03-06at7_25_08PM.jpg.bbd1851eb7759d6773fb5e42368a661f.jpg

• Like 1

Microwave motors are great for this. They seem pretty durable as well. I have a turner design in the homebrew tools section. I have a section of pvc pipe going through a 3 ft section of swim noodle. Lure holders can be inserted into the foam. Mine regularly turns 8 to 10 1-1/2 oz lures at a time. 

• Like 1