COLORMEFISHIN

Help!!! Shimano....

I have an old 2008 Curado 200 CU200BSF I am trying to fix for a friend. When you reel the handle fast and stop it the spool continues to turn  with a grinding noise. The only way I can get it to make that noise is if I push up on the pinion gear while turning the handle. I replaced the yoke springs thinking the were worn and not pushing the pinion gear back down far enough, but it still does it. Anyone have any suggestions besides telling my buddy to upgrade to a new reel?

I was going to respond that the plastic part (yoke) that holds the gear and is held down by the springs was installed upside down. I learned the hard way about this exact issue YEARS & YEARS ago when I myself had misinstalled this very piece and assembled the reel only to encounter essentially the exact same issues you ran into! One tip is to have a black Sharpie pen on stand-by on your work space to put a dot on the side that is facing up prior to disassembly. I did that for years until I became so familiar with bait casting reels of most every design and brand that I could diagnose most issues without disassembling the reel.

It seems to me you learned the "hard way", same as many of us who disassemble countless reels to clean/maintain, repair or upgrade. I began by doing my own reels and those of a few friends who went fishing with me hundreds of times per year when we were teens, and slowly built up a reputation as a local guy to see for any issues with ones' reels. I began doing hundred of reels per off season once I joined a moderately sized bass club, as almost every member had my go through their reels every off season or whenever an issue reared its' ugly head....and in or around 2000 I began getting reels with the only mission of upgrading their bearings to the best available on the market. I still do a number of reel upgrades per year, but i have the owner's buy the bearings anymore as I can't find a reputable source that sells high quality bearings for a *REASONABLE* price....too many suppliers on this end treat performance bearings as if they're made out of 24K gold!!!!

There is a ray of sunshine for you in this story....you will know EXACTLY what's wrong with the reel the next time you encounter this issue! I've come across almost a dozen over the years that needed new gears, new pinion holder and new springs (and usually bearings by that stage) but most weren't upgraded or even repaired as the necessary parts cost more than the reel was worth. I kept 3 LH Retrieve Curado's for myself that my customers no longer wanted and upgraded/repaired every single part of them and I'm still using those 3 reels (along with a solid 12-15 others) often....even though I have had them for well over a decade!

Drive on my man, drive on!

Kirk Bonanny