BlackBear

Lee Pot Rust

I've been pouring lead baits for about a year now & I've become pretty comfortable with the process. Far from a master, but I'm not unhappy with where I'm at. But my lead pot, that sucker is frustrating me. I first started with a Lee bottom pour pot, but gave up on that due to constant clogging. I switched to a 5703 Lee Precision Melter & ladle pouring  & I'm happy with that method.

My question is...how do I keep the pot from getting rusty/crusty on the inside? The inner walls are covered with rust crumbs & my lead (after being hot for a bit) often gets a rust colored crunchy film layer on top. I do flux & it helps a bit , but the contaminants on the inner walls of the pot just keep dirtying the lead back up. I am using what I believe to be clean soft lead, I buy it from Lure Parts Online.

I don't often have issues with incomplete pouring, but I am looking for ways to keep my furnace & lead cleaner. I don't want to rebuild/replace my furnace every 6-12 months. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

The only way I know is to keep it full of lead.

Thanks, I have heard that one before. I should have added this in my original post...being that it is already rusted up, how can I clean it up so that it does not keep mucking up clean lead? Keeping it full going forward I can do.

When I had a Lee pot I would get the lead hot then empty it.  I cleaned it out then took steel wool and cleaned it as much as possible.  Then I sprayed it with a good layer of WD40.  I let is soak for a while then wiped it down, fired it back up, put lead in it and started over.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

When I had a Lee pot I would get the lead hot then empty it.  I cleaned it out then took steel wool and cleaned it as much as possible.  Then I sprayed it with a good layer of WD40.  I let is soak for a while then wiped it down, fired it back up, put lead in it and started over.

Sounds good I will give that a shot, thanks!

I’ve had the lee ladle for almost 8 years now. Only way you can prevent rust as was stated above is to leave led in it.  To get rid of the rust I usually just turn it on get it hot and than take the spoon that use for slag removable and just scrape it out  into the bottom.  Than I just empty it into my metal Coffe can of wheel weight clips and slag. You could scrape it cold also.