BobP

"Roll" added to vibration - How to do it?

When you want some roll in addition to horizontal vibration on a crankbait, do you offset the angle of the bill from perpendicular to the axis of the bait, or do you use some other design change? If you offset the angle, what is the "working range" within which it will make the crank roll some, but beyond which it will cause the crank to be untunable? I'm doing some cranks for myself and a buddy for striper fishing and would like some variety in action among them. Thanks for any help.

BobP:

I read an article in last month's Musky Hunter magazine that dealt with this. The author was adding weight to the top of slammer/grandma style crankbaits to get more body roll out of them when twitching. Once a bait was weighted this way however it rendered it useless for trolling as it would not track straight.

I personnally have not played around with this yet but I plan on trying it on some of my homemade Jakes and see what action I get out of them.

Marc

Marc is exactly right. I can add roll to my baits quite easily by drilling the hole deeper which puts more of the weight up near the "top" of the bait. Instead of drilling two shallow holes for weight try one deep hole for example...it takes much experimentation to get things right. I don't particularly like alot of roll as I think it looks unnatural but some guys swear by its effectiveness.

jed