badhatharry

Powder Painting Jigs

11 hours ago, badhatharry said:

Thanks!   Question....I dropped one on 1/2 jigs, fresh out of the oven, on a concrete floor and the finish chipped.  Is this normal or do I need to add a clear coat or....?    Thanks Again.

How are you curing them, time and temperature?  After curing just dropping on concrete should not result in the paint chipping. I'm going to say that either temperature is too low or time is too short but there is a problem. Also, when you use a toaster oven you need to be sure the temp is somewhat accurate. They are notorious for being off, my oven is off by almost 25 degrees from the dial setting to actual temperature. Best thing is to get an oven thermometer and check the oven temp versus the dial setting.

2 hours ago, badhatharry said:

I'm doing 20 min @ 300* .  But you are right, I have no idea how accurate that dial is. What is ideal?  I will be checking as soon as I can squirrel away my wife's thermometer.  Thanks

20 minutes at 300 is too low for the amount of time. I do my curing at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. And when I say 15 minutes I'm saying 4 minutes for the oven to reach temperature, 2 more minutes for the jigs to hit temp and then 15 minutes which is 21 minutes total. So putting the jigs in at 300 degrees and then setting the timer to 20 means the paint probably isn't curing at all. A rep from Component Systems, the makers of pro-tech powder paint, told me years ago that I could cure at 270 degrees but the baking time would need to be right around an hour. 

Hey guys- I'm pretty new to this. I've been curing my jigs after I powder paint them by hanging them on my oven racks, but I've noticed that many times they drip down a little bit, and I'm left with an oddly shaped jig. Last time I tried putting them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and that worked a little better, but it still wasn't perfect. What is the best way to place the jigs in the oven to cure them?

Thanks for humoring a newbie question :)

12 minutes ago, ACD said:

Hey guys- I'm pretty new to this. I've been curing my jigs after I powder paint them by hanging them on my oven racks, but I've noticed that many times they drip down a little bit, and I'm left with an oddly shaped jig. Last time I tried putting them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and that worked a little better, but it still wasn't perfect. What is the best way to place the jigs in the oven to cure them?

Thanks for humoring a newbie question :)

You are getting too much paint on the jigs if you are getting dripping or nipples.

Allen

• Like 2

Yep too much paint. try a fluid bed as mentioned above, or when your jig is hot quickly swish it thru the powder paint. Better to have less paint than too much. You can always reheat it and swish thru again. Also make sure you fluff the powder paint frequently if you are swishing from a jar. This will put on a lighter coat.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

When curing my jigs in the oven, I used bent out paperclips.  One end goes into the hook eye and the other end hangs on the oven rack.  This way, if I do get a drip, it runs toward the hook rather than toward the head.  I put an old cookie sheet under the jigs so that no paint will drip inside the wife's oven!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Hahn said:

When curing my jigs in the oven, I used bent out paperclips.  One end goes into the hook eye and the other end hangs on the oven rack.  This way, if I do get a drip, it runs toward the hook rather than toward the head.  I put an old cookie sheet under the jigs so that no paint will drip inside the wife's oven!

Perfect. That's really helpful. Thank you! Sounds like I need to use less paint, and for jigs I've already painted, use a paper clip. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1