ravenlures

Fins

Not in some time, but I did make some once when I took some fins, cut them off, froze them, then put them in fresh Alumilite HS2.  I pushed them in so they were flush with the top but not covered by HS2.  Put them in a freezer and let the HS2 cure (24 hours).  Next coat was to apply some mold release then poured a second layer.

The fin was removed 24 hours later and the mold was allowed to warm.

I then poured the fins (squish mold type) out of 1)Silicone (tough, easy, can't color), 2) Alumilite Flex 20 (can be colored but it starts out light yellow).  I used mold release with every pour so that they did not stick to the silicone (silicone sticks to silicone otherwise).  

My results were good, but I had to make a fin out of Alumilite White (not flexible) and then used that to make a new master that had attachments.

I never got the color right for me, and I changed focus on what I was developing, but, this might help some.  This was several years ago, so there are some paints now that are silicone based and may stick to silicone.  I have not pursed that direction.

• Like 1