Hillbilly voodoo

Lure contest

@Vodkaman

It does show how many lurkers are around once a contest starts. Would be nice if a few stuck around and contributed

I don’t take the competition part seriously but I do like seeing some of the unique lures that are entered. Did notice not much for entries from regulars though 

Dave with the amount of people going in the direction of 3D printing a Cad class probably would see interest

I have mixed feelings about this annual competition. I see the value of all-comers, so we can see innovation and new ideas. But I am not seeing innovation or new ideas, just same old.

I would like to see the competition limited to members only, and with a limit of time served, say 3 months or ten posts.

It would severely limit the number of entries, but I am for the site, and these outsiders are not contributing, just trying to take.

I would be tempted to make member viewing only, but that would limit the prospect for new members.

BUT!

I have to constantly remind myself once a year, that TU is not an exclusive club. If it was, how would I have ever have qualified with no knowledge or experience, to become a member of this club.

I say to all none members reading this, who have ever taken a knife to wood, sign up and contribute. As I discovered, you do not have to be an expert to contribute. Put forward an idea, get shot down, have that idea improved, generate another idea from the original, and such is progress. I am a living testament to this process.

Winning a competition is small-fry, actually contributing to your fellow designers and builders is the real buzz.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need more posts/comments to encourage guys and girls to stick around. It is in our interest as well as theirs.

TU is the premiere lure building site IMO. It can be imposing at first. But we all have a common interest, a common goal; we just want to build better fishbait, better lures. Simples :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/

The people entering are typically customers of the above, who own/operate the site.  It is something fun they do for customers or potential customers  just like keeping this site up and going.

TU real issue if you are concerned with lack of activity, members, etc.. is that it did not change with the times as some members ;) were very keen on this not becoming a video and picture laden site as they didn't wan't some sort of "social media site".  

Any guesses where most new lure makers get their information, what groups they join, you tube channels, etc...   Additionally guys that run those can make a dollar or two and pick up sponsors and free gear so joining and doing stuff on TU not in their best interest typically unless it brings in enough viewers to their sites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I don’t see an issue in the contest or how it’s run. Like I posted earlier I don’t take it seriously and see it as a fun thing only. I have never even attempted to build a lure with the contest in mind just entered lures I would build normally. 

Only think it would be nice to see some new members stick around and more entries from active members 

• Like 1

New-guy perspective... I love the contest.  It is really cool to see the stuff people make, and it's pretty inspirational.  I entered the contest this year (first time, as I'm a new-ish member still).  I've never done that sort of thing, and it was motivated in large part with the opportunity to win some $ to put toward lure making.  I don't have much of a budget for this, so the potential prize is pretty motivating.

Also, it's due in large part to the knowledge I've gained over the past year that I felt confident entering the contest at all.  As a new guy, I've learned a ton on here.  Granted, there aren't a ton of active posters, and I've gotten most of my feedback from @mark poulson, @Vodkaman, and @Hillbilly voodoo.  It's been cool to see some more new guys and learn from their questions as well.

I think it adds a fun dynamic.  My only suggestion would be to have a "member favorite" prize or award of some sort, and that could be limited to member voting and submissions only.

My 2 cents...

• Thanks 1