PSHU

Newbie question - Oil and scent

Hi! I am new to pouring and am having trouble with oil and scent. I have only been remelting baits so far. I have been putting them in ziploc bags, adding a generous amount of oil, then a similar amount of scent. They are very well covered when I do this, comparable to some of the oilier baits like Missile Baits D-bombs. But, a week or two later they seem basically dry. Am I doing anything wrong or should I think about getting a different brand of oil and scent?

Thanks,

Paul

Some plastic soaks up more oil then others. Worm oil is a plastisizer  which is added to a synthetic resin to add flexibility etc.  so it naturally soaks into baits made with it.  Kind of the nature of the beast. You can always apply more right before you use them although the oil will wash off when you fish them.

Edited by Les Young

5 hours ago, alsworms said:

Agreed.  Laminates or 4 mil bags really make a difference. 

I know it’s one more expense but alsworms gives some good advice. I started out with kitchen ziplock bags and drowning the baits with oil/scent. I learned fast this was not the way to go especially for long storage. I started using some 4 mil bags a while back and they are a night and day difference.  I also just do a lite coating of oil/scent. It will not seep through a 4 mil bag, thus you will not need as much. If I’m stockpiling I will forgo the plastic bags and just use a plastic tote with a decent lid and no oil/scent. I just stack the cured baits the best I can and add to bags as needed. 

If you have access to a food vac sealer that welds the bags shut you could try what I did to save a few bucks. Side note, most of my plastic is in the 2”-4” range. I found large 12”x4ish” sized 4 mil zip top bags at a decent price. Made a reference jig and cut them in half-so 6” each. Meaning that I cut them from the bottom up through the zipper. I then placed the cut side in the vac seal and just used the heat feature on the vac seal to weld the cut side shut. Depending on the zipper thickness you might have to heat up a flat screw driver and flatten the cut end of the zipper before welding the cut end.  I therefore doubled my stock and have only had one fail so far.   

To load them I put baits in a plastic container with a few drops of scent and a few drops of oil. Shake until baits appear coated. Using a flexible cutting mat cut to fit inside the bag I arrange baits on the mat. Slightly bow the mat and slide into the bag. Flip the bag over on the table and the baits usually release allowing you to remove the mat again using a slight bend. Now the baits are nice and neat in the bag not all bent or distorted. Hope this makes sense.