CoreyH

acetone and epoxy on PVC

I've been making baits mainly with PVC trimboard.  In a previous thread I had asked some questions and someone (I think it was Mark Poulson) had said that they dip their PVC baits in acetone prior to painting and topcoating so that the acetone helps to close the foam cells and lessens the likelihood of having gases come out and ruin the paint or topcoat.  I have already epoxied in the line ties, lips, and hook hangers in several baits, but they are not painted yet.  If I dip the baits in acetone now, will that negatively affect the epoxy in any way?

Dip away.  The acetone will flash off quickly and will not have any noticeably effect on the bond strength as very little epoxy will be exposed to the acetone in the first place and then only very limited duration as less then 30 seconds.  

Devcon for example lists acetone compatibility as poor... after 7 days immersion.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobP said:

However, if you dip a polycarbonate or plastic lip in acetone, you may get a cloudy lip.  Why not just brush it on where needed?

Almost certainly will be cloudy.  At the lab amazing all the high dollar enclosures we have that someone decided to clean an area with acetone...

I have not made many baits with PVC trim board (few dozen or so) but never really had issues with holes.  The few I have I just used a 2 part epoxy wood putty or similar and filled and sanded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobP said:

However, if you dip a polycarbonate or plastic lip in acetone, you may get a cloudy lip.  Why not just brush it on where needed?

I learned the hard way acetone also weakens lexan. Tried to clean epoxy off of a lip on personal bait with acetone in the past. Dropped the bait off the table an that was enough to break the 1/8 lexan lip

Also the wife bought me some disposable cups that ended up being made of some corn syrup base or something along those lines. Don’t put acetone in these it eats through them in seconds. 

acetone is handy but can screw things up to

• Like 1

As pointed out can brush on the acetone if needed around the lip then just dip the bait.  It also isn't too hard to dip a bait around a lip.  I used to dip a lot of foam cranks in the solo cup mixture (virgin lacquer thinner) and had some acrylic/acetone  to seal a few baits and never had an issues.  

• Like 1