Ihatebubbles

UV Resin question ?

Hello guys! I've seen a guy on youtube using uv resin instead of epoxy to clear coat a lot of lures but i have some questions

Any of you used it ? I would like to know what type of light do you use to dry the resin 

result look like very nice when applying it with a brush but do you need a bait turner or you just apply uv resin and put it in uv chamber

And very important what about the durabillity in time ? Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, Ihatebubbles said:

Hello guys! I've seen a guy on youtube using uv resin instead of epoxy to clear coat a lot of lures but i have some questions

Any of you used it ? I would like to know what type of light do you use to dry the resin 

result look like very nice when applying it with a brush but do you need a bait turner or you just apply uv resin and put it in uv chamber

And very important what about the durabillity in time ? Thank you :) 

yes I use uv resin to coat my wood baits it is easy to do just brush on a heavy coat of resin an place under a uv lamp I have a 30watt led uv strip lamp works very good let the bait under the uv lamp for just a  few minutes and it should work it does not take a big uv lamp to set it off uv is a really good product to use!

• Like 1

If you use the fingernail resin hardener lights, about $25 on amazon it works really good (get the bulb ones not the LED ones). I found it worked great and built a hardening tank using two of them. But one works just as good. Also, Alumi-uv is good but expensive and hard to get now. Look on Amazon for the Chinese knockoffs. They are identical. I've been using it for awhile now. It takes about 20 minutes to cure a bait. I just paint them on and keep the brush in a tin foil tube I made. If you keep it out of the light it won't get hard. On the bait the  resin seems to self level and hardens smoothly without having to turn it like you have to do with epoxy.

This is my hardening light setup with a bait hanging in it.

You can see it being built here on youtube.

q411yw7.jpg.8df5272605fbed2b00f2e97071ed49e2.jpg

• Like 3

I just used some cheap “Lets Resin” brand uv resin off Amazon for th first time to topcoat a batch of baits and here are my observations.  You don’t necessarily need a lure turner.  The resin is fairly thick and I brushed it on with no bubbles using a cheap fine bristle nylon artist brush, which I cleaned afterwards with lacquer thinner.  The resin did take some time to harden completely in a fingernail uv curing light box (also from Amazon); about 30-40 minutes, which is much longer than some other resins that can harden in 2-3 minutes.  The resin was crystal clear, slick and very hard once cured.  I was happy with the result.  And yeah, it’s at least as tough and waterproof as epoxy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobP said:

I just used some cheap “Lets Resin” brand uv resin off Amazon for th first time to topcoat a batch of baits and here are my observations.  You don’t necessarily need a lure turner.  The resin is fairly thick and I brushed it on with no bubbles using a cheap fine bristle nylon artist brush, which I cleaned afterwards with lacquer thinner.  The resin did take some time to harden completely in a fingernail uv curing light box (also from Amazon); about 30-40 minutes, which is much longer than some other resins that can harden in 2-3 minutes.  The resin was crystal clear, slick and very hard once cured.  I was happy with the result.  And yeah, it’s at least as tough and waterproof as epoxy.

In my book there are basically two types of UV resin available. The two US common ones are Solar rez and Alumi-uv. Both are available online in less expensive imported versions from China. And the Chinese versions work exactly the same way. I actually think the western brands come from there and are simply repackaged and the price bumped up.

Solar rez cures very, very fast, a couple of minutes. The drawback is that it usually thickens in the bottle or can over time just because of ambient light hitting it while opening and closing the container.

Alumi-uv takes about 20-30 minutes to harden. A can of it will stay the same consistency till it's used up. You can also use the same brush for a very long time without cleaning it just by wrapping the bristles in tin foil to keep the light from them. UV resins won't yellow or cloud over time.

They both work good. Solar rez stinks horribly though. The reason some people won't use it. They have different chemical makeups.

I have a lure turner for epoxy. I find that the UV resin doesn't sag at all so I don't use the turner for UV. I think it sets up right away even if it's not hardened yet.

I also do a clear coat of Resin to seal my lures before painting. It gives a smooth surface that hides imperfections in the wood. Being a bit syrupy it smooths out and fills gaps like the area where the plastic bill enters the wood. I love the stuff for what it does and it's ease of use.

Edited by DGagner

After having my last batch of lures end up with a sagged clear coat do to a power outage the UV resin is becoming more attractive. 

Etex works good against pike teeth and most times I have no issues but when you have a good size batch of lures wrecked at the final stage it’s frustrating 

Anyone test I’ve resin against pike or musky yet?

Yes, the gloss is about the same as epoxy and its very clear.  It’s manufactured in China.  Hardness would have to be scientifically tested but It seemed harder than epoxy when drilling the topcoat out of the hook hangers, so that’s just anecdotal info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks bob now it’s a matter of availability and shipping which is a headache for me all the time 

it will definitely be multiple coats for me to get durability for pike teeth and hook rash on trolling baits for lakers. From what you described it should work it will just be a matter of if I need to do more layers or not

Uv resin is thick and viscous but gravity will still cause it to migrate.  If you have a lure turner, you can coat lures and sit the turner outside in sunshine to cure an even coat. I often combine curing in a fingernail uv box with sunshine curing.  Uv lamps operate at different wavelengths that may or may not match your resin brand’s requirement.  Sunshine has all wavelengths and works even on a cloudy day.  I’m still experimenting with sun versus uv lamp.  How long to use each, in what sequence, whether the lamp is really needed at all, etc.  One thing I have found; if the lure still feels a little “greasy” after lamp curing, putting it outside for 30 min will always cure it hard and slick.