I have been building baits out of Alumilite products and it is really nice, I really like the way the baits come out, but it is a little pricy, is there something cheaper beside Alumilite products

As anyone used Feather Lite lightweight urethane casting??? I have watched some videos looks pretty good but not sure how good it is

Thanks

Gino

I use Alumilite as well and if you are buying small quantity it can be costly. Buying in large quantity it’s not bad in my opinion and I build larger baits

I have not tried featherlite because controlling buoyancy through different ratios of micro balloons and resin is a big part of how I build. I have used Smoothon’s version of alumilite white (can’t remember the name) and it was brittle compared to Alumilite and more prone to bubbles in my opinion.

I don’t know what you pay for Alumilite vs smooth-on resin but for larger quantity Alumilite is cheaper for me even with shipping it from across Canada 

one thing I did find with Alumilite products shopping around is important because of price differences. I have seen 2gal of Alumilite white with up to $300 difference in price here in Canada 

Outside of smooth-on and Alumilite I don’t have a different resin option for you. I can say for my use Alumilite is a better option then smooth on

• Like 1

Thank you Hillbilly

I only make baits for myself and some friends, I do not sell anything,  just a hobby. I am staying with Alumilite works great and I know how to use it

I build large muskie baits and I was trying to save a little money, but in the end by switching I would not save anything  just re-ordered the 4.6 LB mold making and the  Alumilite white 32 OZ

thanks again for your input 

Gino

• Like 1

No problem my lures are mostly pike and lake trout lures around 5-8inch so I understand how fast material adds up. Buying 32 oz at a time is brutal 

One thing you might want to look into is smooth ons mold max 30 it’s a cheaper option for silicon molds than Alumilite. Well at least in my area it’s almost 1/2 the cost. 

• Like 1

A solution for you.....

Alumi-UV is the one I've used. But it's pretty pricy and they've been out of stock for a few months now. I'm not sure they'll be back. I don't know if you are using the UV type or not but they're great.

I watched some videos by the "Engineered Angler" (look on youtube, he's pretty good) He uses UV resins and has tested the Chinese knockoffs and finds they and Alumilite are the same thing. A $20 alumi-uv bottle is $13 for the same sized China brand. I bought some and have used it for awhile now. It is the same and works great.

I use a $25 fingernail hardener to cure them 20-30 minutes.

19 minutes ago, DGagner said:

A solution for you.....

Alumi-UV is the one I've used. But it's pretty pricy and they've been out of stock for a few months now. I'm not sure they'll be back. I don't know if you are using the UV type or not but they're great.

I watched some videos by the "Engineered Angler" (look on youtube, he's pretty good) He uses UV resins and has tested the Chinese knockoffs and finds they and Alumilite are the same thing. A $20 alumi-uv bottle is $13 for the same sized China brand. I bought some and have used it for awhile now. It is the same and works great.

I use a $25 fingernail hardener to cure them 20-30 minutes.

He means resin for pouring lure bodies not epoxy clear coat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

He means resin for pouring lure bodies not epoxy clear coat

And if I had read his original post more carefully I would have seen that. Ah well..... if anyone is clear coating a bait the info is viable. But as far as this thread..... nevermind.  :huh:

• Like 1