TimM

Inline blade thickness vs retrieve force

What thickness do you guys measure for your inline spinner blades?

The #4 blades I've purchased have a thickness of 0.018" compared to some commercially produced spinners with #4 blades at 0.027".  Not surprisingly the commercial blades are quite a bit heavier (2.0 g vs 1.3 g)

The spinners I've made with these blades seem to work but have less resistance when retrieved.  The blade outline and profiles are very similar and I'm not sure if the thinner blade moves easier through the water of if I'm getting less blade motion or a different blade angle.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

The my bead and hood are identical to the commercial and my body is similar (slightly shorter/wider) and, if anything, would cause more drag than the commercial body. 

For illustration here's a (brass) blade I've purchased stacked on top of a (copper) commercial blade.  There are very slight differences in blade profile but I would think the decals the commercial guys put on some blades result in more difference that what I see between these two blades.

Thanks!!  -Tim

num4.jpg

Tim, I would think the thicker blade which would be heavier with the same blade profile would spin slower than your thinner blade. More mass. The slower/ heavier blade would provide less resistance which in addition to the additional weight would make that blade run deeper. I haven’t measured the thickness of my blades but will if needed. 

The thinner blade with the same weight body would spin faster and provide more resistance/lift which in turn would put your bait higher in the water column. It wouldn’t run as deep, in other words. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply; I think your analysis is spot on.

I took two identical spinners and replaced the thin blade on one with a blade from a purchased spinner.  I could feel some difference in retrieve force but I think I mostly felt the extra weight of the purchased spinner blade.

In an eyeball comparison the thin blade seemed to spin at a greater angle away from the wire than the purchased.  I would think that greater angle equates to a faster speed although I couldn't tell visually.

I would also assume faster speed equates to higher sound frequencies which may be a bigger difference in fish catching.

I have some heavier blades on the way. I hope I don't have to repaint and replace blades for the 100 or so I've already made.

• Like 1