wavejim

C Palmer no 203 mold

I recently picked up a number of older molds.  One is a palmer no 203 which is a larger spoon mold, 3 1/2, 5 and 7 ounce sizes.  I have not tried it yet due to a couple concerns.

There is a sizable gap between the mold halves, nearly an 1/8 inch.  Theres no way it will pour without major lead leakage.

The mold appears to have been used with red clay.  I cleaned a lot from the inside and outside.  Is this mold designed for making "dirt" weights?

Any help would be appreciated.

All those old molds were to my knowledge made to produce lead lures or sinkers. I've had my share and they all produce flash after they are poured . At least the really old ones Palmer made for general distribution .. Pics of the mold open and closed  showing the closure seam would help . The clay may have been used to reduce the flash around the spoon. If the mold is warped it may be junk . At the very least it would take someone experienced in adjusting one .

Yep that is normal for those old molds. You see where the alignment knobs are . The divot on the opposite side can deepened Just a touch with a drill slightly smaller than the divot . Because all you want to do is let the knob seat a little further down . Then take a straight edge and run it cross wise on the matting surfaces . Mark the high spots . Get a diamond whet stone like you would use to sharpen a knife and slowly remove the high areas . A word of caution . Test the mold through each step . But it will never be like a Do-It . Just try to get the flash manageable. Then stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1