johnboy

Powder Paint Question

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to pouring my own leads & powder painting. I've been using the Pro-Tec powder paints in fluid beds with good results. I am wondering if anyone has knows if there is any difference between the pro-tec powder paint at $10/ 2 oz jarand other powder coating paint that can be bought for $15 / lb. I figure i might as well buy in bulk for my basic colors like white, pink, chartreuse, black, red etc... Just curious if anyone knows whether or not there is a difference. Thanks in advance for any help. 

There’s no doubt the Pro Tec is excellent paint and they produce some colors that are hard to find elsewhere. That said, like you when I first started, I looked for an alternative pretty quickly as I thought their price was a bit high. 
I found a good alternative in Columbia Coatings. I’ve been very satisfied with their powder and it works well in a fluid bed. I use a vibrator to help fluidize my powder and it all works seamlessly. I rarely change my filters and just blow my cups out, change colors and keep on painting. They have a great selection of colors also at very reasonable prices. I recommend not using any Harbor Freight powder as my experience with it was terrible. 

• Like 2

OK, I'll venture a little help on this.  1st, the Pro-Tec paints seem to be brighter, better quality then say a Harbor Freight paint.  In general, the Pro-Tec seems to melt more uniform, cure better with post heating, etc.

Still, having had lots of construction projects done with power paint, and "borrowed" some of the raw paint, I have had excellent results from Non-Pro-Tec paints as well.

Summary, You don't always get what you pay for, but you might waste a lot of money finding the bulk Powder that works as well as Pro-Tec.  Power Paint goes a long way so if you are "new" to pouring, stick with a powder paint made for jig painting.  If you get into production, then buy one color at a time and test the alternatives.

• Like 2

A lot of good info here. I have been powder painting jigs and commercial steel since 2006. There are a lot of good powder paints out there. However Harbor Freight in my opinion is not one of them. Pro-Tech is excellent paint and they have colors that you can't find anywhere unless you go custom. There are other companies that sell powder paint.  BTW welcome to TU, you have a PM from me.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

I've used a lot of Protec paints.

Mostly for their glow colors and UV blast.

But I've had good luck with paints from "powder by the pound" Columbia coatings, Rosie's, and powder from Cadmans at Cadmans custom jigs.

I've never had one preform badly except the harbor freight paint.

So yes as was said avoid the harbor freight paint.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SlowFISH said:

I purchase powders from (https://thepowdercoatstore.com/) to use on parts for my kayak.  Been thrilled with the 3 items I've purchased so far (A purple / anodized red and a nickle) and whats excellent is they sell sample sizes (1/2) pound priced at really reasonable rates.  A 1/2 pound goes a LONG way with small parts.

J.

Thank you for that link - lots of great stuff to try there!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, johnboy said:

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to pouring my own leads & powder painting. I've been using the Pro-Tec powder paints in fluid beds with good results. I am wondering if anyone has knows if there is any difference between the pro-tec powder paint at $10/ 2 oz jarand other powder coating paint that can be bought for $15 / lb. I figure i might as well buy in bulk for my basic colors like white, pink, chartreuse, black, red etc... Just curious if anyone knows whether or not there is a difference. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Hey guys I am new as well. I am wondering what you mean by a "Fluid Bed" ?

1 hour ago, Travlnman said:

Hey guys I am new as well. I am wondering what you mean by a "Fluid Bed" ?

Basically it's a couple sections of pvc pipe with an aquarium air pump connected at the bottom that fluffs your powder paint up so that when you dip your jigs, you get a nice thin even coating. Search it on Youtube - lots of info and videos of how to make one. 

• Like 1