CTBfishing

Spinnerbaits in Cold Water (NH)

This winter I started to get into making my own wire baits and made several spinner baits with varying wire diameters and head sizes. I went out on my kayak on a local NH lake  and found the water temp to be around 46 degrees. After paddling to the north end of the lake I found warm water that was around 48 degrees and flooded bushes because the water level was up three feet (a rare occasion in NH glacial lakes). Got on a good pattern of casting 1/4 single willow light wire spinnerbaits right into the bushes and giving the bait a second long pause after it comes out of the bushes. Ended up catching 6 nice bass ranging from 2-4 pounds. The next day I went out on a smaller remote pond and caught bass on spinnerbaits (indiana and colorado blades) in 44 degree water. Feels pretty awesome to catch bass on baits you made you self. Who new bass would eat a fast reaction bait right after ice out!

Pictured below are the some of the bass I caught and the 

Displaying IMG_2722.JPGDisplaying IMG_2730.JPGDisplaying 60860682832__5379EDF5-89A2-419E-B7F4-4A9E445C0CCC.JPG

Pictures don't open. Anyways, there have been times after ice out, that I got bass, but never on a spinnerbait only on a rattle trap type lure. I do know that when I reel them in and the water is that cold there really is  no fight. Feels like reeling in a wet t-shirt. Congrats on the new hobby and the first fish of the year.

• Like 1