The Rook

Silicone Mold Maintenance

Hi Experts! 

Looking for some advise on taking care of silicone molds. Should I be cleaning them regularly, storing them a certain way, coating them? etc... 

Any advise on how you take care of your molds is greatly appreciated. 

Hope everyone is hanging in there! 

Thanks! 

I buy silicone “mold Release and conditioner”. At about every 25 pours or so I wipe them clean and spray them down with it and let it dry. Seems to make them last longer for me. I get it on amazon I think castin craft is the maker 

Edited by Socal399

On 4/20/2020 at 11:50 PM, Anglinarcher said:

I coat my molds with liquid Silicone I get from Alumilite when I am done and won't be using them for more then a week.  It seems to keep them fresh and they last longer.

That's what's so great about tackleunderground. Somebody always has the answer.  :yes:   That's a good idea Anglingarcher. :yay:

Thanks Les. 

One other thing, something my wife pointed out.  The only thing that sticks to silicone is silicone so I didn't use to use mold releases.  Still, I have noticed that some things still adhere some.

To improve wear and tear, I now shoot the mold with UMR.  It only takes a quick shot and it seems to make the mold last longer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Thanks Les. 

One other thing, something my wife pointed out.  The only thing that sticks to silicone is silicone so I didn't use to use mold releases.  Still, I have noticed that some things still adhere some.

To improve wear and tear, I now shoot the mold with UMR.  It only takes a quick shot and it seems to make the mold last longer.

What is UMR?

10 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Sorry, UMR is a mold release from Alumilite.  I think it stands for Ultamite mold relase, or something like that.  It is an spray can material, and it does not need to be cleaned off the lure before painting.  Good stuff.

Thanks. 

I just use cooking oil spray, like PAM.  Granted, I don't pour those molds very much anymore, but, when I do, they're still good.  Maybe Lurecraft uses a special silicone that holds up really well.